TRIBUTES have been paid to a grandad who died after he took ill while driving.

Clifford Franklin, 66, of Highfield Avenue, Mynydd Isa, died at the scene of a two-vehicle crash on King Street, Mold, just after 9pm on Wednesday.

The road between the junction of Love Lane and King Street roundabout was closed for two hours after the collision between Mr Franklin’s red Rover and a blue Ford Fiesta.

Argoed councillor Hilary McGuill said: “He was a really nice person who will be sadly missed. This is such a shame.”

Mr Franklin ran a chip shop in Ewloe for a number of years.

Yesterday neighbours spoke of their shock at hearing the news describing Mr Franklin as a “lovely person”.

One neighbour said: “This is a terrible shock. They were a lovely couple. We used to speak to him all the time.”

Mr Franklin is survived by his wife Ruby, his two children and his grandaughter.
A post-mortem examination will be carried out today before an inquest is opened into his death.

Mold councillor Carolyn Cattermoul, said: “My thoughts go out to his family.
“This is so sad. I was coming back from the theatre on Wednesday night and the road was closed. The police had cordoned it off.

“It is an absolute tragedy.”

A spokesman for the Welsh Ambulance Service said: “We attended the two-vehicle collision with two ambulances at the scene.

“One elderly patient is believed to have taken ill at the wheel and was declared deceased following the incident.

“Another elderly patient had seatbelt injuries, and was treated at the scene but did not need further hospital treatment.”

A spokeswoman for North Wales Police said: “The collision involved a red Rover motor vehicle travelling along King Street towards the A541 and a blue Ford Fiesta in the opposite direction, driven by a local person.

“The male driver of the Rover motor car was pronounced deceased at the scene. Next of kin have been informed.”

Police are appealing for any potential witnesses to contact PC Aled Jackson of the Deeside Policing Unit on 101.