FRUSTRATED football fans entered the directors' box at The Racecourse at the weekend to protest against the sale of the club.

Altogether 150 fans took part in a peaceful protest by holding banners and chanting during the second half of the Wrexham v Gateshead game.

Police were called in to help with the situation, which also saw fans walking around the stands with banners, but no arrests were made.

It follows weeks of turmoil about the future of Wrexham FC and uncertainty about who could buy the club.

Fans say the protests were fuelled by reports that former Chester City director Stephen Vaughan was part of a consortium to buy the club.

On Saturday, about 35 fans entered the directors' box where they protested against the sale of Wrexham FC.

Insp Richard Morgan from North Wales Police said nobody was arrested.

“They left the box after a short while and continued to protest outside the club offices for about an hour before dispersing peacefully,” he said.

“North Wales Police officers were in attendance as part of normal policing arrangements for the match and monitored the protest to ensure the safety of the public and everyone at the ground.”

One fan, Liam Randall, said the protests were mostly peaceful and a way of fans showing their concern about who could buy the club.

“At one point the whole ground was stood together chanting and it was quite emotional as both teams were applauding each other,” he said.

Lindsay Jones from Wrexham Supporters Trust said: “It was one of the tensest atmospheres at a Wrexham game because there have been so many rumours flying about.

“The club have banned people fetching banners and couple that with rumours of potential buyers and it just came to a head.

“This is what happens when people feel they haven’t got a voice.

“The owners have got to think about their legacy and need to start talking to the fans and have a proper debate about how to manage their exit strategy.”

Before the game, a statement on the Wrexham FC website said: “no extra security staff have been recruited for today’s fixture and the club will be policed in the normal fashion – with club stewards only.”

On Saturday evening Geraint Parry from the club said: "The stewards did a decent job and the police came in in the end. Nobody was hurt."

Geoff Moss and Ian Roberts were not available for comment.