A DRUNKEN patient subjected a doctor to a torrent of abuse.

Wayne Whitehead, 29, called a locum doctor at his surgery “a blackhead”, a court was told yesterday.

But father-of-four Whitehead told his victim he was not being racist. He said he did not like other doctors at the practice either.

His rant led him to Flintshire Magistrates' Court where he previously admitted a racially aggravated public order charge.

Appearing for sentence Whitehead, of Moorfields, Holway, Holywell, was placed on a 12 month community order. He must attend one-to-one sessions with a probation officer and he must also follow a probation service alcohol workbook course.

Whitehead was ordered to pay £50 compensation to his victim who was working as a locum at The Pennant Surgery at Holywell, with £85 prosecution costs.

District Judge Andrew Shaw told him his behaviour was completely unacceptable.

Whitehead said he was so drunk he could remember little about it.

Prosecutor Robert Blakemore said Whitehead went to the surgery on December 13 for pain killers for his elbow after a fall in the snow and for help with his alcohol problem.

Locum doctor Shekar Nagaraj prescribed him pain killers and suggested a self-referral to the drugs and alcohol service on Deeside but Whitehead wanted the doctor to refer him there.

Whitehead raised his voice, became agitated and aggressive and pointed his finger into the GP’s face.

The victim of Indian descent felt threatened and insulted, but felt he could not leave the consultation room because Whitehead was standing in front of the only door.

He feared that Whitehead would assault him and was shocked and upset.

Whitehead was there for about 20 minutes and it was claimed he was aggressive for most of that time. He kept walking around the room with his arms flailing and he continued to point towards his face.

The doctor tried to calm him down by telling him he was there to help him, but to no avail.

Interviewed, Whitehead said he was an alcoholic who would drink between 12 and 24 cans of lager a day and possibly two bottles of wine. He also smoked one or two spliffs of cannabis daily.

That day he began drinking at 9am and had 12 cans before he went to the surgery.

Defending, Stephen Mullarkey told the Mold court Whitehead had not touched a drop since and now had a job to go to after a period of unemployment.

He wished to apologise for his actions. "This has been a wake up call for him.”

He had been struck off as a patient and was ashamed.

Whitehead’s mother had recently died and the family were grateful for everything doctors at the surgery had done for her.