A DRIVER who crashed his car into a lamp-post in New Brighton, near Mold, was found to be more than three times over the drink-drive limit.

A court was told he then tried to leave the scene after he was helped from the vehicle by an off-duty police officer.

Matthew Jones, 29, was detained until North Wales Police arrived. He was arrested and a later breath test showed he had 109 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath compared to the legal limit of 35mgs.

Jones, of Blue Bell Cottage, Main Road, New Brighton, admitted drink-driving. He was made the subject of an interim driving ban and the case was adjourned for sentence until January.

Robert Blakemore, prosecuting, told Wrexham Magistrates’ Court at Mold that police arrived to find the remnants of a Vauxhall Vectra which had crashed against a lamp-post on the A494 at New Brighton, close to the Shell Service Station. The engine was revving and there was smoke coming from the vehicle.

An off-duty police officer from Merseyside first spotted it, was concerned for the welfare of the driver, and went to help him.

But it was claimed that Jones tried to run from the scene but was detained until North Wales Police officers arrived and he was arrested.

When interviewed, he said he started drinking at 6pm at home, went to a friend’s home, drove back and was involved in a collision.

Throughout the interview Jones was said to have been remorseful and apologetic.

It was his second conviction for driving while over the alcohol limit in 10 years and he would therefore face a three year driving ban, the court heard.

Stephen Edwards, defending, said his client was a single parent and was also acting as a carer for his mother.

Jones had not intended to drive on November 27 and for reasons he did not recollect he got into the car and drove home.

He did not remember getting into the car and that may have been down to a combination of the alcohol and the prescribed drugs that he was taking.

Mr Edwards said his client was very lucky to have been seen by the off-duty officer and it was fortunate for him that he had hit a lamp-post and not another car or a pedestrian.

District Judge Andrew Shaw bailed him and said all sentencing options would remain open, including custody.