TRIBUTES have been paid to a 12-year-old boy who died after suffering a brain aneurysm.

Chad Whilding Bailey, of Treuddyn, fell ill while staying with his father, Michael Whilding, and his grandparents in Coedpoeth.

The Castell Alun High School pupil was rushed to Wrexham’s Maelor Hospital before being transferred to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool for an eight-hour operation.

But doctors later had to give family the heartbreaking news that Chad’s life support machine was to be turned off.

Devastated mum Karen Bailey, 49, described the football-mad youngster as a “happy go-lucky, bubbly lad”, who was loved by his many friends.

She said: “Chad meant the world to me.

“He would come home from school and all he would want to do would be play football. He lived for his friends.

“He was always singing and dancing. He was the class joker and had a caring, loving side.

“If his mates had trouble, he was always there trying to solve it and sticking up for them. He had a big heart and was very mature for his age.

“He lived life to the full. We are very close, the whole family is. He is my golden boy, my angel.”

Chad, who died on November 2, supported Liverpool, Wrexham and Barcelona football clubs.

He had joined Karen at a keep-fit class just weeks before his death and had outperformed her and most of the class despite being the only boy.

He was very close to his brother Dwain, who suffers from epilepsy and cerebral palsy, his five-year-old niece Nicole, his sister Tanya and her husband, Farrall – who bought Chad a Liverpool kit while he was in hospital – and stepfather Andy.

Chad’s father, Michael, said he was devastated and that Chad had loved visiting him and his grandparents every weekend.

Karen said: “We were shocked when he was taken ill because he had not been ill previously.

“We were all in shock because it was so sudden. He went to his dad’s and he had a pain.

“The family has been strong and supporting each other. While he was in hospital we were there for him, he wasn’t on his own for a minute.

“He went to Alder Hey because he needed an operation. When they told me he had brain damage I said as long as he was alive I would care for him. The nurses at the hospital were angels.

“But they had to turn the machine off. It was devastating. The family was there, we couldn't believe it.

“We cherished every minute with him and he lived life to the full.”

The family has been inundated with cards while some of Chad’s school friends have made posters in his memory.

Karen said: “We have been overwhelmed by cards. The school has been fantastic. I would like to thank everyone.”

Treuddyn councillor Carolyn Thomas said her son was friends with Chad and valued his friendship greatly.

She said: “It is a devastating shock that has left a hole. Chad was such a lovely lad and very bright.

“He will be missed so much by his family, friends and all who knew him.”

Chad’s funeral will take place at St Mary’s Church, Treuddyn, on Friday at midday with those attending encouraged to wear football shirts and bright clothes.

His coffin will be carried in a carriage pulled by a white horse.