A TEENAGE boy was viciously assaulted as he walked to youth club.

Daniel McMannus, 13, was walking along Woodall Avenue in Saltney when an older boy asked him for the time.

As Daniel removed his mobile phone from his pocket, the boy punched him in the face and ran off.

A pupil of St David's High School in Saltney, he suffered a cut eye and spent six hours in the Accident and Emergency department at the Countess of Chester Hospital.

Daniel, who under went a liver transplant six years ago and takes daily medication, says he is now to scared to leave his home.

He told the Leader: “I was walking along the road and a lad ran up to me and asked me what time it was. I got my phone out to tell him and then he told me to give him the phone. I said no but he said he would hit me otherwise. I was really worried. Then he hit me.”

Daniel, of Maes Y Coed in Saltney, was walking to meet friends at Saltney Youth and Community Centre at about 6.45pm on Monday night when he was attacked.

Police took swabs from Daniel’s eye and his clothes for forensic examination in the hope of using DNA technology to catch the perpetrators.

The youngster had a day off from school yesterday to recover from his ordeal.

Concerned father Brian is calling it a “despicable” crime.

He said: “We only found out when one of the neighbour’s kids knocked on our door and said Daniel was crying in their house.

“Fortunately there was no lasting damage but he is really confused as to why
somebody would want to do this to him. It’s just wrong.”

Brian added: “I would just like to praise the police for the fantastic job that they did.”
Daniel did not know his attacker but believes he is about 16-years-old.

North Wales Police have classed the incident as attempted robbery and are appealing for witnesses.

Det Sgt Kevin Bowden, from Mold CID, said Daniel was approached by two youths, a male and female who asked him the time.

He said: “When he produced his mobile phone to provide the time the male youth demanded the phone and threatened him with violence if he did not hand it over.

“The victim refused and was punched in the face. There was then a brief struggle before the assailant ran off empty handed.”

DS Bowden said North Wales Police are anxious to speak to anyone who was in the area at the time and may have seen something.

He added: “This unprovoked attack was a rare occurrence in the area and I urge anyone with information to come forward, in particular the young female who was present at the time and is not believed to be involved.”

Anyone with information is asked to call North Wales Police on 101 (if in Wales) or 0845 6071001 (Welsh) 0845 6071002 (English) alternatively text 66767 or Crimestoppers Wales/Cymru on 0800 555 111.