TWO pensioners got into a road rage style row in a supermarket car park over a “silly" parking incident.

It ended with a 66-year-old assaulting the other, causing damage to his arm.

Paul Nicholas Perks, of Aberllanerch Drive, Buckley, had denied assaulting James Fellows at the Asda car park in Queensferry on July 23 but was found guilty at an earlier hearing.

David Boycott, prosecuting at Flintshire Magistrates’ Court at Mold, said Mr Fellows, from Chester, was just about to move out of his space when Perks’ Renault “came around the corner at excessive speed”.

It stopped at a 45 degree angle about three feet from Mr Fellows’ car. Mr Fellows got out of his car and asked Perks to move and then got back into his vehicle.

But Perks got out and Mr Boycott said: “The defendant came towards him and said ‘Are you going to move your car?’”

Perks reached through an open window, grabbed a cigarette out of Mr Fellows’ hand and stubbed it out on his middle finger.

Perks then pulled his arm out of the window and pushed it downwards, causing Mr Fellows “a sharp pain”.

Mr Fellows shouted for passers-by to call the police. He suffered severe bruising to an arm which had been previously injured in an accident, along with damage to the tendons. His arm was still causing him physical problems, said Mr Boycott.

Gary Harvey, defending, said Mr Fellows was about the same age as Perks, who had a blemish free 40 year career as a lorry driver before working for Chester City Council driving the Park and Ride bus.

An advanced motorist, Perks did not accept Mr Fellows’ account of his driving at excessive speed in the car park.

Mr Harvey said: “He accepts he should have walked away."

Perks was a man of good character who was also being treated for prostate cancer.

Judge Andrew Shaw said: “This is a silly incident which started as a minor dispute relating to parking and culminating in an incident which resulted in a nasty injury.”

He sentenced Perks to a three month community supervision order, a two month curfew between 8pm-7am every day except Saturday and ordered him to pay Mr Fellows £200 compensation with £100 prosecution costs.