VICTORY was never in any doubt as Wrexham secured a comfortable three points against Histon at The Racecourse on Saturday.

Wrexham triumphed 4-0 and secured back-to-back wins for the first time since the start of February in the process.

There was only one team in the contest as Wrexham notched up a three-goal lead inside 38 minutes, meaning the game was over as a contest before the half-time break.

Although there were less scoring chances after the break as Wrexham took their foot of the peddle, Nat Knight-Percival scored a fourth goal against his former club to wrap up a comfortable win.

It means Wrexham are now unbeaten in eight matches and continued their climb up the Conference table to sit in ninth place, just three points away from the play-offs after a comfortable afternoon.

The Reds are definitely heading in the right direction following this convincing performance and result.

Although Histon could have taken an early lead, it was the only time they threatened a goal.

It was one-way traffic throughout and it was always just a question of how many goals Wrexham would score against what was a poor Histon side which never had an outlet in attack and never put Wrexham under any pressure throughout.

The Reds will be given tougher tests but they produced a professional display to ensure they did not slip up when only a victory should have been the final outcome.

The passing was as fluent as it was in the midweek win against Southport, and Wrexham also made the most of the scoring chances that fell their way to seal their highest success of the campaign.

When the attendance was released, the statement read that no fans had passed through the away turnstiles – maybe a sign of what they knew was coming.

Wrexham still had a job to do and they went on to beat the kind of team they should be winning against if they are going to sustain a genuine promotion challenge.

With away trips to Grimsby and Darlington coming up this week, followed by difficult home matches against Fleetwood and AFC Wimbledon, Wrexham will have more difficult days ahead of them.

Though they won’t be easy matches, it will be a chance for Wrexham to prove they can compete with the best teams in the division and really put themselves in the promotion shake-up.

Dean Saunders’ side go into tomorrow’s match at Grimsby in good shape and showing signs that they are gelling – something the manager admitted would take time.

No-one will be getting carried away with such a long way to go but two wins in a week certainly does leave Wrexham in a far healthier shape, giving supporters renewed optimism that the play-offs are a realistic target this season.

As expected, Saunders named an unchanged side following the Reds’ victory over Southport in midweek, and their first scoring opportunity arrived in the fourth minute when Dean Keates fed Andy Morrell who centred for Jamie Tolley but the midfielder fired wide of the target.

Histon then almost took the lead two minutes later as Jay Harris slipped on the halfway line and Danny Mills picked out Daniel Sparkes who brought an excellent save out of Chris Maxwell, the keeper also doing well to keep out Mills’ follow-up.

Gareth Taylor shot wide at the other end before Wrexham took a 1-0 lead in the 11th minute.

Histon keeper Joe Welch’s long clearance was headed forward by Frank Sinclair and Morrell delivered an excellent cross from the by-line for Tolley who converted from 12 yards.

With Wrexham well on top, the lively Mangan sent in a teasing cross that was just beyond Morrell before the Reds doubled their lead on 18 minutes.

Taylor was fouled by Remy Clermia and Dean Keates found the top corner with his unstoppable 25-yard free-kick that gave Welch no chance.

Another Keates free-kick found Chris Blackburn who picked out Taylor and although his effort was turned around the post by Welsh, the assistant referee flagged for offside.

Wrexham kept pressing for a third goal and Harris headed wide from Keates’ cross while Morrell’s looping shot following a defensive mix-up on the edge of the penalty area was narrowly wide of the post.

There was only one team in the contest and Wrexham made it 3-0 after 38 minutes when Keates’ free-kick was threaded down the line by Ashton for Mangan whose superb low cross to the front post was converted by Taylor.

Wrexham thoroughly deserved their 3-0 half-time lead and they continued to threaten after the interval, Mangan bringing a save out of Welch after latching onto Ashton’s long ball forward.

Although they were still bossing the game, and never looked like conceding, Wrexham were not creating the scoring opportunities they had in the first 45 minutes.

Adrian Cieslewicz replaced Morrell in the 64th minute and the Polish winger immediately got the better of Oluwafemi Ilesanmi and set up Tolley whose deflected drive fell wide of the target.

Knight-Percival took over from Taylor and Wrexham finally scored their fourth goal on 79 minutes when Mangan failed to connect with Blackburn’s cross from the right and the ball fell kindly to Knight-Percival who netted from close range.

Looking for his first goal of the season, Mangan beat right-back Ben Clarke but was denied by Welsh’s excellent save with five minutes remaining.

Wrexham had strolled to victory and they head to Grimsby tomorrow in confident mood after back-to-back wins.

WREXHAM (4-3-3): Maxwell 8; Blackburn 8, Andrews 8, Sinclair 8, Ashton 8; Harris 8, Tolley 8, Keates 9 (Brown 80); Morrell 8 (Cieslewicz 64), Taylor 8 (Knight-Percival 69), Mangan 8.

Subs not used: Obeng, Smith.

HISTON (4-4-2): Welch 6; Clarke 6, Clerima 6, Fitzsimons 6, Ilesanmi 6; Smith 6, Fitzsimons 6, McCrae 6 (Stevenson 77), Okay 6, Sparkes 6; Mills 6, Riza 6(Adjei 80).

Subs not used: Lawton, Livermore.

Referee: M Bristow.

Attendance: 2,376.