ONE man had to be taken to hospital as a precautionary measure for smoke inhaltation after a fire broke out in a cherished building.

The Miners Welfare Institute in Llay had to be evacuated on Friday afternoon. The centre was coming to the end of hosting the official opening of a first floor function room when the blaze started.

Fire crews rushed to the scene and have been praised for their speedy response. Trustee John Parry said they had done an excellent job.

Speaking on Friday afternoon Mr Parry stressed the building was remaining open, although as a short-term temporary measure the kitchen would be closed off.

“The function room opening had gone very well. We were just at the end of that when smoke started coming from the kitchen area,” said Mr Parry.

He estimated that in total there were around 80 people on the premises at the time.

“It was quite a shock for everyone that the fire took place.” he added.

A spokeswoman for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “The fire began in the kitchen oven, and is thought to have been caused by a build-up of fat.

“There was 100 per cent fire damage to the oven, and smoke damage to the kitchen and first floor area.

“One casualty was taken to hospital suffering from mild smoke inhalation."