Airbus put one foot in the second round of the competition following a 4-2 first-leg success over Newtown.

With a tie against holders The New Saints on offer to the winners, Airbus gave themselves a great chance of progressing with an excellent first 45 minutes display.

Richard Dorman, brother of Wales international Andy, opened his account for the club with a deflected strike, before Airbus captain Mark Allen grabbed his second goal in two matches.

Wrexham loan duo Leon Clowes and Nick Rushton, both making their first competitive starts for the Wingmakers, combined for the latter to score.

Newtown were able to reduce the arrears straight after the break as Craig Davies converted a penalty to make it 3-1, while Craig Hutchinson pulled his side to within one goal of Airbus.

But Rushton headed in his second goal of the game to ensure that Airbus would head to Latham Park with a two-goal advantage.

Airbus boss Craig Harrison was pleased with the performance of his side.

“It was a good performance,” he explained. “We made some changes with Kristian (Rogers), Carl Owen, Danny (Desormeaux), Andy Moran and Matty Woodward not playing and the lads who came in all took their chance.

“Richie Dorman and Matty Cook were outstanding and Paul McManus and Tom Rowlands impressed, while Leon (Clowes) and Nick (Rushton) made their first starts and looked good.”

Meanwhile, there could be a familiar face in the Newtown starting line-up when Airbus visit as Marc Lloyd-Williams is expected to be the latest signing by Andy Cale.

The Robins are believed to have thwarted a bid by Prestatyn Town to sign the 37-year-old on a pay-as-you-play basis by agreeing a deal with Jiws, who watched Newtown’s defeat at the Airfield.

Bala Town drew 2-2 at home to Prestatyn Town.

New-signing Josh Macauley took just 29 minutes to mark his debut with a goal for Bala, although Lee Hunt netted twice in five minutes for the visitors.

Neath went down 2-1 at Haverfordwest and there is still everything to play for in the clash between Carmarthen and Aberystwyth following their 0-0 draw.