GOALKEEPERS beware... Christian Smith is after more spectacular goals.

The 22-year-old midfielder scored straight from the kick-off in the second half of Wrexham's 5-1 victory against Colwyn Bay at Llanelian Road on Saturday.

Seeing Bay's Andy Metcalf off his line, Smith managed to chip the keeper from the half-way line and it is a feat he is hoping to achieve again.

Smith said: “The goalkeeper was off his line from the kick-off and I thought, 'I'm going to shoot.' I just hit it.

“Before the referee blew his whistle I looked at he was off his line so I was going to hit it. The ball just needs to go forward and that was it.

“It was just inside their half, I hit it and it went in.

“It is one of the best goals I have scored and if the goalkeeper is off his line, I will do it again - and the same result!”

Manager Dean Saunders took the opportunity at Colwyn Bay to use players who did not feature the previous evening against Stoke City.

It seems Saunders has already decided on his preferred starting eleven going into the new Conference season but he is hoping players not in the frame will continue
to push for places.

“It was a better performance than we had at Airbus,” said Saunders. “I was looking for a bit of a reaction from that and it was a good performance.

“I don't want to take too much credit away from Airbus because they played well but our performance I wasn't happy with at all. I said I have got to have a reaction and I
don't want anybody sulking because they are not in what they think is the starting
line-up for next week.

“Fight your way into the team and show me out there, don't go around the place
moping or let yourself down today and they didn't, they all had a go.”

A well taken Marc Williams goal on the stroke of half-time put Wrexham ahead,
Smith’s amazing strike from the half-way line along with efforts from Kevin Gall,
Adrian Cieslewicz and Nick Rushton, sealed the win.

Johnny Hunt and Smith, who made second half substitutes against Stoke, were
handed starting berths along with all the other fit first teamers who never featured,
and three trialists - Joe Cornforth, Jake Simpson and Scott Brown - were also

Former Wrexham striker Jon Newby had the first attempt on goal for the Bay after six minutes but his first time shot cleared the bar.

Wrexham, operating with a diamond shape midfield, created a few half chances but at the other end, Chris Maxwell was forced into his first save in the 25th minute when Lee Davey cut in from the left and unleashing a dipping shot that the Reds' keeper tipped over the bar.

Having enjoyed the majority of the possession, Wrexham began to create more scoring opportunities as Kai Edwards headed over the bar, Wes Baynes' 10-yard drive was brilliantly tipped around the post by Metcalf and Cornforth's header from the resulting corner was cleared off the line.

The Bay, who had enjoyed a productive half, came even closer as Damien Allen's chip from the edge of the area struck the bar.

However, Wrexham took a 1-0 lead with the last kick of the half as Curtis Obeng delivered a cross that Williams did well to control before slotting past Metcalf from close range.

And Wrexham made it 2-0 immediately from the kick-off at the start of the second half. The ball was rolled to Smith and, seeing Metcalf off his line, he scored from
the half-way line.

But Bay reduced the deficit on the hour mark as Mick McGraa's well struck free-kick from the edge of the area found the top corner of the net.

It was an end to end second half but Wrexham made it 3-1 on 75 minutes when
Gall was put through on goal and he slotted past Metcalf.

And Wrexham increased their lead just one minute later as Cieslewicz fired home following Hunt's excellent run and cross.

The fifth goal arrived after 84 minutes as Williams sprung the offside trap and only had Metcalf to beat but he unselfishly passed to Nick Rushton who found the empty net.

COLWYN BAY (4-5-1): Metcalf; Denson, Brandreth, Thompson, Beattie (Noon 57); Newby, Allen, McGraa, O'Sullivan (Sheridan 57), Davey (Williams 66); Jones. Subs not used: Barnett.

WREXHAM (4-1-2-1-2): Maxwell; Obeng (Roberts 78), Edwards, Cornforth, Hunt (Moss 78); Brown (Penk 78); Simpson (Rushton 69), Smith (Damon 78); Cieslewicz (Gall 36); Baynes (Cieslewicz 57), Williams.
Referee: Martin Trigg.  Attendance: 482.