Dean Saunders admits time is running out for players to force their way into contention for a place in the squad against Cambridge United on August 14.

Gareth Taylor, Wes Baynes, Marc Williams, Christian Smith, Curtis Obeng and Jamie Tolley were the senior outfield players in a mixed Wrexham squad that drew 2-2 with Welsh Premier League outfit Airbus on Tuesday.

The 16-man party also consisted of trialists Cameron Mawer, Danny Racchi and Michael Uwezu, and youngsters Adrian Cieslewicz, Johnny Hunt, Nick Rushton, Jamie Morton and Kai Edwards.

And while Saunders was pleased with aspects of what he saw, he warned some of the squad need to improve if they are to be in his side come the opening day of the season.

“Some of those players there are not in my thoughts for the current starting team so they have got two weeks to show me they want to play and want to be involved,” he declared. “I told them that before and after the game.”

Turning his attentions to the game as a whole, the former Liverpool and Wales striker said he was pleased with the fight shown by his side, although he admitted neither side did enough to win the game: “It was probably a fair result in the end,” he explained.

“I thought they (Airbus) were a strong team, aggressive, and they caused us a few problems aerially, we had quite a small back four out and they didn’t cope very well with balls coming into our box.

“Airbus played well and we had a good game with them last year. It was a close game last year before we ended up scoring a few.

“We got ourselves back into the game and made a mistake at the end for the goal, I thought their strikers did well all night.

“We had a few trialists playing that I had never seen play, but we did well to get ourselves back in the game.”

He added: “Some of them needed a game, they haven’t played a game for three months. Christian Smith, Marc Williams and Gareth Taylor haven’t played a full game and at least they have got that under their belts.

“The two goalkeepers did well.”

One man who staked a claim for a potential contract at Wrexham was trialist Racchi, who looked eager to impress Saunders.

The former Huddersfield and Bury midfielder helped Wrexham earn a share of the spoils and the Reds’ boss was happy with what he saw.

“He did well,” he said. “You can see he has played higher up and he has good skills, but I have yet to see him in a full game and that is a bit different. I will have to have a think about that one and have a chat to my indians.”

Saunders was also impressed with another trialist, Uwezu, who appeared for the second 45 minutes at the Airfield.

Nigerian born Uwezu, 19, started his career with Arsenal academy before a move to Fulham, where he rose through the ranks and appeared amongst the substitutes in the Europe League last season.

Uwezu then joined Chris Sutton’s Lincoln City on loan in January, making three appearances, and on his return to Fulham he was invited to Carlisle United for a trial ahead of a proposed loan move for the 2010/11 season.

Released by the Craven Cottage outfit at the end of last term, Uwezu is at The Racecourse in hope of earning a deal.

“He has come up from Fulham and I have never seen him play before,” said Saunders.

“Malcolm Elias has sent him up for us to have a look at and I gave him a game. It was difficult for him though, he came on at half time when we were 1-0 down but he looked quick and sharp.”