TWO Liam Jones strikes in the space of three second-half minutes settled the latest in the long running Llangynhafal-Ysceifiog saga.

One Jones effort was fortunate, but the other was fantastic to seal Martin Dyer’s side a first round meeting with Trefnant.

All credit to Ysceifiog, though, who endured the triple disappointment of conceding twice and having Luke Jones red carded, but they still went close to forcing an extra 30 minutes at the death.

Pushing Tim Hughes into a more advanced position bore fruit for Danny Jones’ side, while Tom Carney was able to exert a fair bit of influence down the left in the last quarter-of-an-hour.

Twice in the closing stages Ysceifiog appeared to be on the threshold of a second goal to take the tie into extra time, but on both occasions Llangynhafal centre back Ifan Hafal was at his best to deny Simon Holloway and Tim Hughes clear sights of the onion bag.

For what turned out to be a feisty and full-blooded affair, there was a pretty nondescript opening to the replay.

Garmon Hafal’s audacious lob from well outside the box was the closest any side came to opening its account in the first quarter-of-an-hour.

The first genuine chance went Llangynhafal’s way on 17 minutes when Tom Sharples’ decent cross to the far post found Tom Seddon unmarked, but he headed over.

Youngster Tirion Roberts chased many a lost cause to fine effect in the first period in a tireless display, which was one of the main reasons the hosts had the better of the first half.

Tom Sharples did look to be racing clear, only to be halted by Andy Rooke’s fine challenge.

At the other end Llangynhafal number one Dylan Jones was rarely threatened, although an early scramble in the area handed Ysceifiog some hope, while later in the half Tom Carney struck the post from a tight angle.

The early stages of the second half belonged to Ysceifiog, although they didn’t possess a sufficient cutting edge to threaten a goal.

Tim Hughes could only steer his shot straight at the keeper five minutes after the break and Tom Carney tried his luck with a 40-yard free kick that proved comfortable for Dylan Jones to gather.

Tirion Roberts made way for sub Gareth Martin on 56 minutes - and, all of a sudden, Llangynhafal were on fire.

Liam Jones’ great strike from the edge of the box had the visitors’ crossbar shaking and Garmon Hafal’s low 20-yarder forced Ysceifiog number one Sion Rowlands into a fine diving stop.

On the hour Llangynhafal’s spell of pressure told with the opening goal.

Liam Jones edged past Tom Jones in the area and cracked home a brilliant strike to give Rowlands no chance.

Three minutes later Dyer’s men were two goals to the good.

Rowlands waited a beat too long to clear a throw-in and Liam Jones’ closing-down work was rewarded as the ball struck him and rebounded into the net.

The goals seemed to raise the temperature somewhat, with Tom Carney and Tom Sharples involved in a spat, while Luke Jones was dismissed for Ysceifiog with 17 minutes to go after claiming his second yellow card.

Ysceifiog had pulled a goal back by that point, though, as Danny Jones scored from the spot after a foul on Sean Evans.

Llangynhafal still had the better chances, with Garmon Hafal, Jak Newell and Jack Crompton all going close, but the last quarter-of-an-hour was also Ysceifiog’s most threatening period of the tie.

Danny Jones and Simon Holloway got in each other’s way trying to head in Andy Rooke’s dangerous free kick, while at the other end Liam Jones came within an ace of claiming his hat-trick, only for Rowlands to punch his corner out of harm’s way right underneath his own crossbar.

Yellow hopes were boosted with the dismissal of impressive centre back Jack Crompton with five minutes of normal time left and had it not been for Ifan Hafal, extra time would have been a certainty.

On 89 minutes Holloway looked to be in the clear until Hafal halted him with a great tackle, while the challenge that denied Tim Hughes a clear run on goal was even better.