A MAN from Wrexham has been convicted of raping a woman at knife-point.

But he was cleared of another rape of the same woman when it was alleged he hooked up a car starting kit to a bed to force the woman to have sex with him.

Carl Pemberton, 28, was remanded in custody for a psychiatric assessment so a judge can consider whether a sentence under the dangerousness provisions is required.

Judge Philip Hughes told Pemberton he could expect a substantial prison sentence.

The victim told Mold Crown Court she was tied up on a bed and raped after he threatened her and stabbed the mattress with a knife.

On another occasion, she said he used the car starting kit to attach electric wires to the metal bed to persuade her to have sex.

The complainant thought that the bed was alive, she feared she would be killed and was raped on the bed, said John Philpotts, jprosecuting.

Pemberton, 28, of Maes y Gornel, Rhos, denied three charges of rape, assault by penetration, common assault and making a threat to kill. He was cleared of two rape charges but convicted of all other charges.

Pemberton said the assaults simply did not take place and he was not physically able to do some of the things alleged because he has lost use of his left side.

The jury heard claims the rapes occurred because the victim felt powerless to stop him after he twice used physical intimidation.

On the third occasion he had worn down her resistance so she submitted to having sex with him.

The first alleged rape occurred when she refused to have sex with him and he used a portable car engine jump-starting kit to frighten her, it was claimed.

Pemberton was cleared of that allegation.

On another occasion he dragged her into a car, got her to go to a house when he tied her to the bed. He then stabbed the mattress with a knife before having sex with her against her will. The jury convicted him of that rape.

On a later occasion it was alleged he had sex with her against her will when he wore her down and she had sex with him to get the process over as quickly as possible. He was cleared of that allegation.

Jonathan Duffy, defending, alleged the complaints had been made up.