A WORKER at a children’s home which caught fire went back in to the burning building as the flames took hold.

An electrical fault caused a tumble dryer to burst into flames at the residential children’s home in Trevor at about 9pm on Wednesday.

Four children and two adults were evacuated from the building but a man returned to the property to attempt to tackle the fire in the utility room.

Firefighters are now warning residents not to try to tackle fires themselves.

Wayne Monslow from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “One of the adult occupants appears to have tried to tackle the fire himself with fire extinguishers.

“Our advice upon discovering a fire is to get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service out. Putting your own life at risk just isn’t worth it.”

The fire, which caused slight smoke damage to the property, was put out by crews who used four sets of breathing apparatus and one Co2 extinguisher.

A man and a woman were taken to hospital for smoke inhalation and released soon afterwards.

Mr Monslow said: “We advise that all electrical items are switched off at the mains when not in use, with the exception of appliances such as fridges or freezers which have been designed to be left on at all times.

“North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offer free home fire safety checks where a member of the service will come to your home, give fire safety hints and tips, help you to formulate a fire escape plan, and if necessary, fit new smoke alarms – totally free of charge.

“To register, call 0800 1691234 or visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk.”