A TEENAGER has admitted causing the death of a friend in a road crash.

Jack Hughes, 18, admitted causing death by careless driving after the crash which killed Danny Evans on Sealand Road on February 15.

Hughes, of Bryn Hyfryd, Connah’s Quay, admitted causing the death of Mr Evans, also 18, by driving a Renault Clio on the A548 without due care and attention.

The two-minute hearing was held in front of legal adviser Phillip Robinson, who took the guilty plea from Hughes after magistrates had risen for lunch, under his delegated powers.

It was one of a number of cases dealt with that way.

A number of Mr Evans’ family and friends who had waited in court all morning missed the hearing, after they had left the building.

Justin Espie, prosecuting, did not open details of the prosecution case at this stage.

Huw Roberts, defending, asked for a pre-sentence report to be prepared by the probation service.

Mr Evans, a champion high jumper from Normanby Drive, Connah’s Quay, was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident and three others were taken to the Countess of Chester hospital, two with serious injuries.

Hughes was granted bail to appear back at the court in front of District Judge Andrew Shaw, next month for sentence.

He was warned all sentencing options, including being sent to the crown court for sentence, would be considered at that stage.

Later Mrs Evans said she felt devastated that she and 14 members of Danny’s family and several friends had missed the hearing.

She said: “Some have taken a day off work and a day off college to be here today. We have been here since 9am. I feel devastated that I was not there.”

Asked how she felt now the driver of the car had admitted his responsibility, she said: “I have not got any feelings for that lad whatsoever. Nothing is going to bring Danny back.”

A court spokesman said later an inquiry would take place into what had happened in the court as no lunchtime adjournment had been announced in court.

The court had been anxious to deal with the case expeditiously, it had made it clear that cases which could be dealt with under delegated powers would be dealt with instead of being adjourned into the afternoon, the spokesman added.