A MOTHER says her young son has been left heartbroken after their family cat was poisoned.

Leanne Williams of Bryn Gwyn, Flint, was forced to have pet cat Samson put to sleep last week after she was poisoned by what is believed to be anti-freeze.

The tortoiseshell cat belonged to Leanne’s six-year-old son Jack, who is devastated and now too scared to let his other cat out of the house.

Leanne said: “Samson was only two and we’d had her from a kitten, so Jack is really upset.

“It was the second time she had been poisoned too – the first time was about six weeks ago and she pulled through, but her treatment cost us £300 and now she’s gone.

“Our neighbour lost her cat to poisoning last week as well and there have been other incidents over the past couple of years – we think about eight cats have died in our area altogether.

“Both times Samson was poisoned she showed signs of kidney failure, so we believe anti-freeze has been used but it is difficult for the vet to prove it.”

Leanne, 30, has alerted the RSPCA to what is happening in the area and has posted leaflets through people’s doors to warn them of the dangers to cats in the area.

She added: “I just want to warn people about what is happening and hopefully deter whoever is responsible from poisoning another much loved family pet.

“It has caused my son much grief and anxiety and whoever it is needs to realise what they are doing.”

An RSPCA spokesman said: “There was an advice call made to us last week and the caller was advised that a vet needs to confirm the cat was poisoned before we can intervene.

“Anti-freeze is very toxic to cats and we would advise people using it to ensure they clean it up if they spill any. Cats are attracted to its sweet taste and they only need to ingest a small amount.

“The most worrying thing for owners is that there are usually no signs that there is anything wrong with their pet until kidney failure begins, when it is too late for a vet to do anything.

“Anyone with any more information about this incident should contact us on 0300 1234 555.”