A FLINTSHIRE man led police on a 12-mile high speed chase across Wrexham in treacherous conditions, a court was told.

Gavin Evans, 25, reached speeds of 85mph in a bid to shake off pursuing police officers.

The chase eventually came to an end when he crashed into a mound of snow.

He ran off but was arrested when he was caught hiding in a freezing cold stream.

At Mold Crown Court Evans, of Queen Street in Treuddyn, admitted dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and without insurance.

He was given a nine-month prison sentence, suspended for two years and was banned from driving for four years. Evans was also ordered to take an extended driving test.

Judge Philip Hughes placed him on two years’ supervision and on a drugs rehabilitation programme.

The judge that he was being lenient, but he took the view that now was the moment that must not be lost to help Evans and if he was helped then that would also indirectly help the public.

He added: “If you let me down and you come back before me I will simply send you to jail.”

Sandra Subacchi, prosecuting, said on January 14 at about 2.30pm an officer on mobile patrol in an unmarked police car saw a black Vauxhall Astra in Johnstown.

He indicated to the vehicle to stop but it continued to drive normally for about 10 seconds, ignoring the officer’s commands to stop, before accelerating away.

Evans began to overtake other vehicles in the face of on-coming traffic and drivers had to take avoiding action.

The road was wet and gritty and snow was piled high on either side of the road.

He drove along the B5426 towards Minera in excess of 70mph.

He drove through Minera and Gwynfryn at 70mph and went across a busy A road with no attempt to brake.

Evans then increased his speed to 85 mph but police officers pulled back because of the icy conditions and lost sight of him for a while.

They came across him again and pursued him along narrow country lanes where he drove at excessive speed again in the snow and ice.

The vehicle collided with a mound of snow at the bottom of a hill.

In 2008, the defendant had been convicted of dangerous driving and disqualified driving when he received 14 months youth custody and was banned for four years.

Kim Halsall, defending, said Evans had been extremely candid in interview and clearly had psychiatric issues.