A Young man has died after he was viciously attacked on a night out in Buckley.

Peter William Jones, 24, suffered serious head injuries after being assaulted in Precinct Way in the early hours of yesterday.

It is believed Mr Jones, from Mold, was out with a group of friends and his father, Peter Jones Snr, when they were set upon  at about 1am in the Somerfield car park opposite the Potters Wheel pub.

Mr Jones, a former pupil of Alun School in Mold, was taken by ambulance to the Countess of Chester Hospital where he died yesterday morning.

Two men in their 20s arrested following the attack are being questioned by police.
Precinct Way was cordoned off while a forensic examination took place and was reopened to the public shortly after noon.

A North Wales Police spokesman said: “Following news of a serious assault in Buckley it can be confirmed that the victim of the assault has died in hospital. His family have been informed.”

Paul Banks, landlord of the Horse and Jockey in Buckley where Mr Jones Jnr used to work, said: “I think it’s disgusting what’s happened. I only hope they throw the book at whoever has done this.

“He was a decent lad and this has come as such a shock that it’s happened to someone like him and his dad.

“No one deserves this. There should be more police.”

Mr Banks added: “He had a liver transplant when he was younger so he could only have a few drinks.”

Mold councillor Haydn Bateman, a family friend, said: “I am very shocked and saddened to hear about this.

“He was a very quiet and unassuming lad and he was never in any trouble. My thoughts go out to his mother and his family at this difficult time.”

Chris Hawkins-Lewis, friend and next door neighbour of Mr Jones’ mum Christine, who lives in Stanley Street, Mold, said: “I knew Pete quite well. I only saw him about three or four days ago.

“He was a nice lad and I would like to give my love to the family at this time.”

It is believed Mr Jones Snr, who lives in Buckley, suffered a broken jaw in the attack.

A police spokesman said: “We would like to hear from anyone who may have been in the vicinity of Precinct Way between 12.50am and 1.10am and who may have information about this incident to contact North Wales Police on 101 in confidence.”