AN ELECTRICAL fault could have been the cause of a massive blaze at workshop units where repairs to the damage are likely to cost more than £150,000.

Fire crews from across the region rushed to battle the flames which broke out at Mountain View Workshops on Rhosddu Industrial Estate in Wrexham in the early hours of Saturday.

Experts have since been investigating how the blaze begun.

On Tuesday a spokesman for the North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said it was possible an electrical fault was to blame, but stressed further inquiries were being made

Six firefighter appliances from Wrexham, Johnstown and Chirk turned out to the incident.

The emergency services were alerted at 2.25am.

The fire service’s team responding to the call included the aerial ladder platform and environmental protection unit from Wrexham and the incident command unit from Rhyl.

Firefighters used five main jets, two hose reel jets and two sets of breathing apparatus to tackle the flames, which affected three units at the industrial estate.

As well as the immediate danger from the flames a major additional cause of concern was the presence of gas cylinders within the workshops.

The fire service was able to retrieve all 11 cylinders known to be present.

The building is owned by Chris Edwards, of Gresford, who rents premises to businesses.

Speaking to the Leader on Saturday morning he estimated the damage figure would come to more than £150,000.

On Tuesday Mr Edwards said a structural engineer was due to attend at the site today to make a thorough examination. 

“Unfortunately it has happened and there is nothing much we can do about that,” said Mr Edwards.

He added: The most important thing is that no-one was injured in the fire.”