THREE members of a huge gang have appeared in court for their role in chasing, surrounding and viciously attacking a teenager.

Mold Crown Court was told that victim Luke Martin Higgott, now 18, of Connah’s Quay, was battered and kicked while on the ground near Ewloe Castle.

A youth who went to the victim’s aid was then assaulted by Luke Ames.

Martin Hill, 19, of Wenlock Crescent in Mancot, and Stefan Futia, 19, of Leaches Lane in Mancot, admitted causing Mr Higgott grievous bodily harm.

It was accepted that others in the gang went on to kick the victim and broke his ankle.

Hill, who had a previous conviction for assault in similar circumstances, was sent to a young offenders’ institute for eight months. Futia received six months.

Ames, 19, of Harrison Grove, Sandycroft, received a 20-week sentence suspended for two years and was ordered to do 200 hours unpaid work in the community. He admitted assaulting Thomas Boyes, now 18, of Flint.

Judge Rogers said: “They pursued them, they surrounded them and assaulted them.

“It is not very different, apart from the fact that no knife was used, to an incident in London last week where a group of 20-plus chased a man into a railway station and stabbed him to death.”

The court was told Mr Higgott could have sustained very serious injuries.

Sentencing the defendants, the judge said the two victims had the great misfortune to be spotted by the defendants and about 20 other young people.

He said: “You began by throwing bottles at them which smashed on the road, causing them to run.

“That is what you wanted because that then gave you the pleasure of the chase. You chased them and eventually you caught up with them and surrounded them.”

The judge said Hill started it all by assaulting Mr Higgott.

Futia also assaulted him. Then some of the others joined in by kicking him while he was on the ground, causing a fractured ankle and facial injuries.

In the meantime, Ames thought it appropriate to assault My Boyes who was trying to intervene on his friend’s behalf.

The judge said: “Unfortunately, such incidents often end up in injuries which are much more serious and sometimes fatal.

“Because of the seriousness of what you did, I have to consider not only you but the need for the public to be protected by passing deterrent sentences.

“Young men must understand that they cannot act in packs like this in order to isolate and assault.”

John Hedgecoe, defending Hill, said his client accepted his responsibility for what had happened to the victim even though he had not actually caused the fracture.

Ben Kelly, for Futia, said his client was not named by prosecution witnesses and the evidence against him came from his own admissions. He had not caused the fracture.

Michael Whitty for Ames said his client was a man of good character who admitted his responsibility in August last year.