A YOUNG man jumped from a 14-storey block of flats in Flintshire because of a love “tangle” involving two women.

An inquest heard that Mark Alan Bennett, 20, jumped from Richard Heights in Flint on the morning of October 27 and died the instant his body hit the ground.

North East Wales coroner John Hughes said “there was something of a tangle in his love life” which caused him to jump from the building.

His devastated father, Alan Bennett, struggled to hold back tears as he confirmed a statement he had made previously to the coroner.

It said that Mark, an apprentice welder for a Sandycroft engineering company, was “thoroughly enjoying life”.

The statement continued: “He was always happy and became more confident in himself and had a good wide circle of friends.

“He was looking forward to Halloween and had bought an outfit and was going to go out in Chester with friends.

“He had had talks about emigrating to New Zealand once he qualified as a welder.”

The inquest, held at Mold Crown Court, heard that Mark had ended a long term relationship last year and had started another.

The day before he died he had come home as normal and eaten his tea before going to Llandudno to watch some fireworks with friends.

The next morning, October 27, Mark got up as usual and seemed his ‘normal self’ but told his mum Una that he had left something in his car.

He left and drove off without telling his family when he had gone.

His parents became increasingly concerned and telephoned Mark’s workplace and friends, but no-one had seen him.

When his mother returned to the house at 8.30am, police were outside to tell her that Mark had been found dead at the foot of the flats.

Mr Bennett added in the statement: “We as a family are devastated.

“Mark was so much loved and this is totally out of character and everybody is so shocked.”

A post mortem revealed that Mark had died of multiple injuries consistent with a fall from a height.

Mr Hughes said that the extent of the fall would have meant that Mark died instantly “on impact”.

The inquest heard that Mark was in contact with two women before he died.

His father agreed with the coroner that the text messages to the women made “some suggestion that prior to the event he was perhaps going to do something of this sort”.

Mr Hughes said: “He must have driven to Flint.

“We know he went into the flats and the injuries were totally consistent with a fall from a great height.”

Mr Hughes recorded a verdict of suicide and told the family: “I’m so sorry and my heart goes out to you.”

Following the inquest Mark’s parents Una and Alan Bennett released a tribute to their son.

It said: “Mark was a kind, sensitive and hard-working young man.

“He was a son, brother, grandson, friend and work colleague to be proud of.

“Nothing will ever fill the void his tragic death has left in all our lives.

“We can only pray that the day will come when we come to terms with his passing.

“We would like to take this opportunity to extend our grateful thanks to the coroner’s office and North Wales Police for their professionalism, kindness and consideration they have shown to us.

“We also would like to thank our families and friends for the steadfast support they have given us at this difficult time.”