A TEENAGER from Wrexham was back in school today just six weeks after he almost died in an accident.

Soccer mad Lewis Storey, 13, suffered serious head injuries when he ran into the path of a car driven by Wrexham footballer Neil Taylor.

He spent more than three weeks in the high dependency unit at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital where he made a “remarkable” recovery.

His mum Louise said Lewis had been incredibly lucky. “His recovery really has been remarkable. It’s amazing.”

Louise, who has two other sons, Jarred, 14 and Martin, 17, said: “It was just a waiting game to see what happened because every brain injury is different. We just had to hope and prey. But he just got better and better.”

“On the Tuesday before he came out of hospital it was like the old Lewis was back.”

The youngster had been playing snowballs outside Acrefair Village Shop on when he ran out in front of the Wales under-21 international’s car.

Mr Taylor said: “I’m delighted he’s making a recovery. I heard he had made a really good recovery since he was at hospital. Everybody should be really happy, he has been really lucky.

“It is one of those situations where you look back and think thank God for that.”

His mother said Lewis suffered bruising in the middle of his brain which made the right side of his body weak.

He had to have physiotherapy to help him walk and he suffered some memory loss and concentration problems for two weeks after the accident.

But there should be no lasting damage and Louise said Lewis was expected to make a full recovery.

Lewis’ only disappointment is that he will not be able to play for his club, TNS in Oswestry and Penycae, for six months.

Louise said: “He can do some training exercises but he will still get more tired than normal because the brain takes time to repair itself.”

She added: “It was just a terrible accident. Kids go and play and they don’t see the danger.

“We want to say a big ‘thank you’ to all our friends and neighbours and everybody who has been such a big help.

“I don’t think we could have managed without the support.”