Members and residents from far and wide have celebrated 164 years of a Flintshire church.

St Michael’s Church in Brynford held a community open day to celebrate 164 years since it was consecrated.

The foundation stone of the Grade II listed building, also known as Brynford Parish Church, was laid by the Bishop of St Asaph in 1851 and was built for approximately £2,030 in 1853.

Many residents from Brynford and the surrounding areas visit the church for various occasions and attend the family communion services which takes place every Sunday morning at 11am.

The weekend of events to commemorate 164 years of the church attracted both local residents and people from Anglesey, Cheshire, Wirral and even Australia to learn about the history of St Michael’s and join in with the celebrations.

There were many items of memorabilia on display dating back to the consecretation of St Michael’s in 1854 and artwork from the present day created by Brynford Primary School pupils.

According to Linda Astbury, church committee member, the ‘successful’ weekend of celebrations was concluded with an evensong service officiated by the vicar of St Michael’s Rev Lorraine Badger-Watts and the address was given by the newly appointed pioneer priest Rev Lara Stroud who recently arrived in Flintshire from America with her husband Daniel and one-year-old son Charley.

Following the service refreshments were served and members of the congregation were invited to have a celebratory glass of wine.

Alice Davies-Wright, church warden, said: “It has been a busy but most enjoyable weekend and so lovely in welcoming so many people to our celebrations. Thanks to all, diolch yn fawr iawn bawb.”