A DRUNKEN man glassed a friend in the face in “a silly argument over a girl” and then boasted about what he had done on Facebook.

It turned out that the entry on Kevin Thomas Jones’ Facebook profile was virtually the only evidence against him because the victim refused to pursue a complaint.

To make matters worse, Jones was on early release licence following an earlier prison sentence for wounding.

At Mold Crown Court, Jones, 45, of River View in Connah’s Quay, admitted a wounding charge and was jailed for 18 months.

The court heard that the victim Thomas Lee Williams had suffered a deep gash to the temple, close to the eye.

His girlfriend went onto Facebook and found what Jones had written.

He was abusive, said he had just stuck a glass in his head, claimed he had been threatened that a man would get him.

The fact that he was on licence at the time did not concern him.

“I don’t give a flying f...,” he said. 

The incident happened on February 17 after both men had been at the home of a woman where they drank all night.

“You ended up arguing with him, you struck him with a beer glass and caused a deep cut to his head, just above the left eye.

“If it had been an inch or so lower he could well have lost his eye. 

“The potential of what you did was very serious indeed,” Judge Rowlands told him.

The victim had not pursued a complaint, but the defendant had posted on Facebook where he boasted about striking him with a glass and suggesting that he did not care that he was on licence at the time.

Prosecutor David Mainstone said that in January of last year the defendant received an 18 month prison sentence for an earlier wounding with a knife.

He also had other convictions for assault.

Both had been drinking at the home of a woman, a neighbour of the victim, in Upper Bryn Road in Connah’s Quay.

They became embroiled in an argument apparently over a woman although it was difficult to know for certain what it was about.

“During the altercation, the defendant with a pint glass in his right hand struck him to the left side of his face, causing the glass to smash.

“It caused a deep laceration to the temple and bled extensively,” he said.

There was no medical evidence in the case because the victim had not co-operated but there was a photograph which showed the nature of the injuries, explained Mr Mainstone.

Mr Williams returned home next door and his girlfriend arranged medical treatment and then found the posting the defendant had made on his Facebook profile.

“He effectively made admissions to delivering the blow,” the prosecutor said.

Philip Clemo, defending, said that his client had pleaded guilty at an early stage.

The prosecution evidence was light although it was conceded that the evidence in terms of the defendant’s own comments on Facebook was compelling.

But the defendant had admitted what he had done and had not 

tried to chance his arm before a jury.

He was thorough ashamed of what he had done to his friend in drink, which said Mr Clemo was a silly argument over a girl.