A TEENAGER has died after being hit by a train.

Owen Knight, 19, from Chirk, died on Sunday afternoon on the railway line at Station Road in Weston Rhyn on the Shropshire/North Wales border.

Known to many as ‘Tid’, Owen was a former pupil at Rhyn Park School in St Martins and a footballer for both St Martins Football Club and Chirk FC.

He leaves his mother Hayley Reeves, father Andrew Knight, sisters Sophie and Ellie and nephew Taylor.

Following his death tributes from friends and family have poured onto the social networking site Facebook.

His mother wrote: “Tid I can’t believe you’re never coming back, you were a fantastic son, we are all going to miss you so much its hurts, love you son.”

His sister, Sophie, added: “Love you and big Tay as you call him does too.”

Hundreds more messages came in from friends, including Harry Griffiths, who said: “Owen Knight, don’t know what to say mate.

"Only thing I can say to you is that you are an absolute legend. You will always be loved and never forgotten by your loved ones. You will be missed by every single person you know and knows you. Rest in peace, always loved never forgotten in my eyes.”

Nigel Keats, headteacher of Rhyn Park School, paid tribute, saying: “Owen was very much into his sport. He was captain of the football team that reached the finals of the Shropshire Plate Trophy, playing the final against Thomas Telford School at Shrewsbury Town Football Club – they were our most successful team.

“Owen was very much into his football and was very keen when he talked about it. He was very much part of the Rhyn Park family and he will be very sadly missed.”

Derek Stokes from St Martins Football Club said: “Owen was a young lad who had played for the Chirk youth teams and signed for St Martins a couple of years ago.

“He only played a few games, but he was a well thought of young lad by many of the our players.”

A spokeswoman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: “Crews arrived on scene to find a pedestrian and a train that had been in collision.

“Unfortunately it quickly became apparent to crews that nothing could be done to save the man and he was confirmed dead at the scene.”

A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesman added: “Officers from BTP and West Mercia Constabulary attended the incident which was reported to police at 2pm.
“The incident is being treated as non-suspicious and a file is being prepared for HM Coroner for Mid and North Shropshire.”