A MOTHER and her two sons had an amazing escape after a horrific five car smash on the Shrewsbury bypass left their car a mangled wreck.

Helen Menhinick was driving through Shrewsbury at 11.45am on August 12 when a car, driven by a man believed to be in his 30s, was in collision with the back of her Honda Civic as she was at the traffic lights at the Emstry roundabout.

Her 13-year-old son, Jim Pryce, and her youngest, Ted, nine, were in the car at the time but amazingly all three managed to escape from the smashed car with only minor injuries.

Helen said: “Our car was sent spinning into four other vehicles.”

Jim and Ted managed to escape the wreckage through the front passenger door but the fire service had to be called to cut Helen free.

“It was just horrific,” continued Helen, who lives near Newtown in Powys, and who is still suffering from a stiff neck and headaches.

“I was unconscious for a short period of time and we were all taken to hospital where Jim and I stayed overnight.

“I am still recovering from head injuries and don’t remember anything about the accident but feel very lucky to be alive and still have my lovely boys.

” The road was closed for approximately two hours as a result of the incident and caused huge traffic chaos as people queued to enter the Shrewsbury Flower Show.
An incident support officer in a rapid response vehicle, three ambulances and the Welsh Air Ambulance attended the scene, although the Air Ambulance was later redirected to another call.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “The driver of one of the cars was trapped for a short time. The man, believed to be in his 30s, suffered a serious head injury. “He was immobilised using a neck collar and spinal board before being conveyed by land ambulance to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital. “The woman and her two children were also taken to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital for further treatment.

“The woman was treated for neck pain and was immobilised using a neck collar and spinal board. The children suffered minor injuries and were taken to hospital for assessment.”