ad

Mold market crash man will never drive again

Published date: 22 August 2014 |
Published by: Staff reporter
Read more articles by Staff reporter Email reporter


 

A LAWYER has suggested a council should consider a crash barrier at the town centre market in Mold to prevent any repetition of a serious accident there.
 
A car entered the pedestrianised area and injured a number of people.
 
Phillip Lloyd Jones, defending, was speaking at Flintshire Magistrates Court where the car driver was banned from driving following the incident in December.
 
Norman Jones, 81, had admitted by letter to careless driving and said he would never drive again.
 
The Mold court adjourned sentence for him to attend so a driving ban could be considered.
 
Yesterday, following representations by his solicitor, Jones, of Bryn Awel,
Pentre Halkyn, was banned from driving until he passes a driving test, which the lawyer said he would never take. He was also fined £100 with £105 costs.
 
Mr Lloyd Jones told the court the defendant had been regularly monitored until the accident and had been considered fit and well to drive at that stage.
 
“He lost control and sadly careered into stalls and people on the High Street market on that particular day,” he said.
 
But since the accident his condition had deteriorated. He had lost a substantial amount of weight, medical reviews were taking place and he was being monitored and
 
“I can assure you, having met him and his family, that there is no way he can ever drive again,” Mr Lloyd Jones said.
 
Jones had surrendered his driving licence to the police at the time.
 
Mr Lloyd Jones added: “I have seen photographs of this accident. 
 
“It was a very serious accident and I’m sure lessons will be learned.”
 
He said stallholders and those at the market were at risk and he was sure the local authority would consider the possibility of erecting a crash barrier to ensure there was no risk of a repetition.
 
An earlier hearing was told Jones drove his car into the pedestrianised High Street, injuring a number of people and causing widespread panic, shortly before 11am on December 7.
 
Jones said he could only put it down to his diagnosis of dementia and that he had since surrendered his driving licence.
 
Prosecutor Shaun Bartlett-Evans said 10 pedestrians were injured when Jones's Citroen Picasso entered the pedestrianised section of the high street during the twice-weekly market, which was busy with shoppers.
 
Witnesses described how the defendant, with his wife in the passenger seat, came down the high street and overtook two cars which were parked at the traffic lights.
 
The engine was said to be revving, he pulled out to avoid hitting the cars ahead and then drove through the junction and careered into the pedestrianised area where the market was being held.
 
The vehicle collided with market stalls and pedestrians and 10 people were injured. 
 
Among the casulaties was Sylvia McHarris suffered serious injuries to her lower right leg.
 
A section of bone below the knee was sheared off and seven pins and a metal plate had been inserted.
 
The court was told she might need further surgery and a knee replacement.
 
Eleri Jones broke her fibula and her ankle had been in plaster for six weeks.
 
Pedestrian Anne Wells suffered broken ribs, an injury to her ankle, and bruising to her shoulder, knees and thigh.
 
Six other women and a man were also hurt.
 
In his letter pleading guilty, Jones said had been diagnosed with memory loss and dementia some 18 months ago.
 
He had a clean driving record up until the time of the accident, the court was told. 

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

Comments are closed for this story.

Local Business Offers & Promotions


    View all offers & promotions

    Featured Businesses

    View all adverts