A TOWN has been labelled the county’s “dumping ground” after plans for a giant landfill site were resubmitted.
Buckley councillor Carol Ellis said her town has been blighted for decades by numerous landfill sites that have seen rubbish brought in from across Flintshire and dumped.
Now there are fears waste from beyond the county’s boundaries could soon be making its way to the town as well after Brock Plc resubmitted plans for a 1.7 million cubic metre landfill site – despite the Planning Inspectorate Wales dismissing their appeal over a previous rejection last year.
“We have had landfill here in Buckley for years and years,” Cllr Ellis said. “It is used as a dumping ground for Flintshire’s waste.
“We are always under threat of new landfill sites and it puts constant pressure on the community. It is mad.
“This application has been dismissed before. You think you have fought a battle and then they come back for a war.
“You work hard to back residents against the landfill but it is frustrating because we have been fighting for a number of years and it keeps coming back at us.”
Birkenhead-based Brock Plc’s proposed waste site would house a mixed waste treatment facility, a facility to recycle builders’ waste materials, a contaminated soils treatment facility and the 1.7 million cubic metre non-hazardous landfill area, at the Pinfold Lane Quarry, Alltami.
But the company, which was unavailable for comment, saw its appeal against a Flintshire Council rebuttal also turned down at a public inquiry more than a year ago.
Buckley has had a contentious history concerning landfill projects. The Etna, Brook Hill and Standard sites “blighted” the community for decades, according to Cllr Ellis.
A development of a fourth site is still pending. Permission for an RJS Civil Engineering landfill site at ‘Parry’s Quarry’ also on Pinfold Lane, has elapsed having been granted in 2009, but the company is understood to be pursuing an environmental licence which would extend the time the 1.6 million cubic metre capacity site could be used for landfill.
John Iball, chairman of Buckley's Local Issues Action Group, which has opposed previous landfill bids, said: “This application looks the same as the previous one.
Buckley has already been blighted with landfill sights for the past 30 to 40 years.
Permission is already there for another one which hasn’t come into use yet but demand for landfill is decreasing rapidly and the forthcoming Deeside incinerator will lessen that demand further.
“I am worried Buckley will become a dumping ground not only for Flintshire but for the North West as well because they are running out of landfill sites in Cheshire and Merseyside too so will that waste come here? We have to put up with the dust, the smell, the wagons, it is very depressing.”
Flintshire Council has set a target decision date on the latest Brock Plc application of August 23.