RESIDENTS of a street have told of their shock after being woken up in the early hours of the morning after an arson attack on a parked van.
People living on Glan Gors, Caia Park – including several families with young children – were frantically woken up and told to get away from the flaming vehicle, which had been deliberately set alight at about 4.15am yesterday.
Fire crews arrived but could not prevent the entire front end of the van – belonging to a tradesman living nearby – suffering 25 per cent fire damage and destroying the owner’s tools and equipment.
Nicky Thomas, whose house was just two doors down from where the blaze raged, said: “There was a really loud bang at about 4am and I looked out of the window and my neighbour’s van was up in flames.
“I ran over to his house to knock him up, then went round waking people up to get them away from the fire.
“It is shocking, really dangerous.
“We’ve got a young boy in the house, these people just don’t think about stuff like that.”
Another neighbour, who lives across the road from where the fire took place, but wished to remain anonymous, said: “It’s horrendous waking up to the noise and smell of a car burning, it’s scary.
“There was a loud bang and suddenly it was engulfed in flames. We got out of the house and got the children out of harm’s way. It’s not worth thinking about but someone could’ve been badly hurt.”
The owner of the vehicle declined to speak when approached by the Leader.
A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue said: “We were called to a car fire on Glan Gors at 4.20am on Thursday.
“One crew from Wrexham attended and used a hose reel and the thermal imaging cameras to help tackle the fire.
“The cause of ignition was deliberate and there was 25 per cent fire damage to the vehicle.”
Caia Park was subject to a spate of arson attacks on cars and houses during the second half of 2013, causing great concern at meetings of Caia Park Community Council and leading to increased patrols from North Wales Police PCSOs.
Just last week, yobs set a youth shelter and playground on fire on Prince Charles Road – the fourth time it had been torched in the past decade.
Community councillor Carrie Harper said she hoped yesterday’s attack would not be a catalyst for further incidents.
She said: “Problems with arson have improved quite a lot in recent months, so to hear about this incident is worrying.
“I just hope it doesn’t lead to a spate of incidents like last time.
“I feel very sorry for the van owner, because when it is a works van which is destroyed.
“It’s not just a car but a livelihood which is harmed. The people who commit these attacks just don’t think about the consequences.”
North Wales Police confirmed they would be investigating the incident.