ad

Overdose killed Llay teen days after his 18th birthday

Published date: 18 July 2014 |
Published by: Staff reporter
Read more articles by Staff reporter Email reporter


 

A YOUNG man died shortly after turning 18 following a drug overdose, an inquest heard.

Cameron Gwyn Rawlins, 18, was found dead at a property on Council Street in Llay on February 12.

Mr Rawlins had taken a fatal amount of methadone which led to methadone poisoning.

Coroner for North Wales East and Central, John Gittins, recorded a conclusion of accidental death at an inquest in Ruthin yesterday.

In a statement his mother Louise Rawlins, of Brymbo, said they had spent a lovely evening together for his 18th birthday just days before he died.

On February 12, he returned to a house on Council Street at 2pm where his father and cousin, David and Shaun Simpson, were.

He went on to tell his cousin he had taken a mixture of methadone, valium and pregablin for nerve issues. 

It was the first time his cousin had known of Mr Rawlins taking methadone. 

At around 4pm, Mr Rawlins was found setting up a dinner table with his head slumped on the table, as if he was asleep. 

Shaun and David Simpson put him to bed. At 11pm Mr Rawlins was found dead in the bedroom.

A post-mortem examination found traces of cocaine and cannabis as well as a lethal level of methadone.

A toxicology report identified 0.48mg of methadone in one litre of blood. A fatal level is said to be about 0.4mg.

Methadone poisoning was given as the cause of death.

Mr Rawlins attended Llay Park Infants and Juniors School and was a “bright and capable” child, the court was told.

He enjoyed playing football and represented his school, as well as turning out for Llay FC.

Mr Rawlins attended Castell Alun High School in Hope for a brief period, before going to Ysgol Bryn Alyn in Gwersyllt.

In 2009, the death of his grandfather hit Mr Rawlins badly and acted as a catalyst for his drug taking.

Mr Rawlins began to open up to the drug and alcohol services in Wrexham in 2013. 

He was given mental health medication.

It was heard how weeks before Mr Rawlins’ death he became more confrontational and had suffered some memory loss.

In reaching a conclusion of accidental death, Mr Gittins said it was quite possible Mr Rawlins did not understand the levels of methadone it was possible to take and it was likely his body could not tolerate it.

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

Comments are closed for this story.

Comments are closed for this story.

Past pictures from Llay, Wrexham

  • l10ac7bb
  • l10ac7f3
  • l1092e91
Local Bygones

View thousands more photos like this on www.localbygones.co.uk

Browse our archive
 

Local Business Offers & Promotions

  • 10% OFF

    STUDENTS, OAP;S, HIGH SCHOOL PUPILS. 10 % OFF Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Wash/Finish or Wash/Cut/Wash (Not in Conjunction with any offer)

    Valid Until: Thursday, 11 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: C&CO

  • 25% Off your Food bill!

    Each diner must purchase a starter & a main course. Offer valid until December 2014. Valid Sundays - Fridays only. Not valid on Bank Holidays & Selected Dates - please call for confirmation. Please book in advance & mention ' Web Offer'. This offer excludes Buffet, Banquet & Takeaway. The Restaurant reserves the right to change this offer at anytime.

    Valid Until: Friday, 05 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: Web Offer


View all offers & promotions

Featured Businesses

View all adverts