ad

Johnstown woman woke up to find her bed on fire

Published date: 03 July 2014 |
Published by: Staff reporter
Read more articles by Staff reporter Email reporter


 

A WOMAN has told how she woke up to find her bed was on fire.

The terrifying incident happened at 7.10am yesterday at a property on Heol Offa, Johnstown.

A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze was caused by an electric fan on the bed which caught fire.

The 64-year-old woman, who did not want to be named, escaped without injury.

She said: “As I started to wake up in the morning I could smell burning plastic.

“I opened my eyes and could see flames on the bed. 

“They were about two feet away from me and nine inches high on a section of the duvet.

“I was absolutely shocked.”

She said she leapt out of bed and phoned for the fire brigade.

“They were here quickly and put it out,” she added.

“I’d like to thank them for doing such a good job. The duvet is ruined but the mattress is OK.

“The house had just been decorated. The fire service ventilated my home but there is still a smell of smoke. I am hoping that will go away.”

The woman said she had an electric fan on during Tuesday night because it was so hot.

She initially placed it on a ledge but it was getting caught in a window blind so she put it on her bed.

“I placed it on its stand and thought I had switched it off before going to sleep. 

“But it seems I didn’t switch off properly and while I was sleeping the fan toppled over still on,” she said.

“I feel lucky not to have been injured and hope others can learn from what has happened so they don’t have to go through the same thing.

“Also, the fire service asked me if the fan had been electrically checked, which it hadn’t.

“I hope others will learn from this.”

Firefighters used one hose reel and two breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze.

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

  1. Posted by: welshknight at 15:02 on 03 July 2014 Report

    "the fire service asked me if the fan had been electrically checked" - And given the fan caught fire because it was physically stopped from moving, being caught on the duvet, having it "electrically checked" would have made absolutely no difference at all. PAT testing is a scam to make money for electricians, it has nothing to do with electrical safety.

Past pictures from Hafod, Wrexham

  • l10ac848
  • l10ac834
  • l10ac835
Local Bygones

View thousands more photos like this on www.localbygones.co.uk

Browse our archive
 

Local Business Offers & Promotions

  • 10% OFF

    STUDENTS, OAP;S, HIGH SCHOOL PUPILS. 10 % OFF Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Wash/Finish or Wash/Cut/Wash (Not in Conjunction with any offer)

    Valid Until: Thursday, 11 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: C&CO

  • 25% Off your Food bill!

    Each diner must purchase a starter & a main course. Offer valid until December 2014. Valid Sundays - Fridays only. Not valid on Bank Holidays & Selected Dates - please call for confirmation. Please book in advance & mention ' Web Offer'. This offer excludes Buffet, Banquet & Takeaway. The Restaurant reserves the right to change this offer at anytime.

    Valid Until: Friday, 05 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: Web Offer


View all offers & promotions

Featured Businesses

View all adverts