A MAN died at his home a day after falling downstairs, an inquest heard.
Arthur John Griffiths, known to friends as “Jack”, died following a head injury at his flat in Maes Deri, Ewloe, last December.
Nigel Lynskey, his friend of more than 30 years, fought back tears as he described watching the 62-year-old slip down the stairs and “crack” his head.
Mr Lynskey said he told his friend he needed to go to hospital but Mr Griffiths insisted he would not go.
The following day, said Mr Lynskey, he returned to the property and found his friend dead on the kitchen floor with the vacuum cleaner still running.
During an inquest at Ruthin yesterday, Mr Griffiths was described as previously being a well respected civil engineer who fell on difficult times because of the “lack of continuity of work”.
The month before he had died, he had returned to Flintshire after working in Southampton, Hampshire.
It was also reported that Mr Griffiths was a man who on occasions would drink heavily.
In the week leading up to his death Mr Griffiths had asked Mr Lynskey to buy him some Nytol as he was having trouble sleeping.
Mr Lynskey told the inquest that on entering the flat he discovered empty bottles of vodka and cider, adding Mr Griffiths had been sleeping on a settee as he did not have a bed.
Mr Lynskey said within two days Mr Griffiths had taken six Nytol tablets and not the recommended one a day.
North Wales East and Central coroner John Gittins said he did not believe the Nytol overdose had played a part in Mr Griffiths’ death and no alcohol was found in his system.
“He sustained a significant injury to his head,” said Mr Gittins. “The fall had fractured his skull.”
He concluded the death was accidental saying Mr Griffiths died from a brain haemorrhage and a head injury.