ad

Shotton roadworks completion deadline delayed again

Published date: 29 April 2014 |
Published by: Robert Doman and David Humphreys
Read more articles by Robert Doman and David Humphreys


 

THE completion date for controversial roadworks has been pushed back for a second time.

Work to upgrade one of the county's major routes – the B5129 Deeside Corridor – has caused headaches for motorists, pedestrians and business owners since they began in January.

Originally the work was meant to last 16 weeks, but at the start of April Flintshire Council said they would be going on for an extra fortnight, until May 20.

Now the finish date has been delayed again with council bosses now earmarking the first week of June as a likely completion date. That means the roadworks programme – which has affected Queensferry, Connah’s Quay and Shotton – will overrun by almost five weeks.

There have been long traffic tailbacks in the area and business owners have suffered a fall in trade resulting from  works on pavements in the area.

Pedestrians recently described the road as dangerous after crossings were switched off.

Flintshire Council, who said the works are aimed at easing congestion on the busy stretch, said: “It is anticipated that the current phase of the works will be completed during the first week of June.”

But community leaders and businesses have voiced their anger at yet another delay.

Shotton councillor Mike Evans, who runs a building yard in Connah’s Quay, said the roadworks have hampered his business.

“It was total chaos last week as both carriageways were awful,” he said.

“Traffic in both ways was at a standstill and it’s been absolutely terrible.

“My yard is on the docks in Connah’s Quay and I’m having to go through Northop Hall to avoid Shotton. It’s costing me an extra £50 in diesel and we’re losing hours for our deliveries. It’s put an extra two hours on to the day.

“Businesses in Shotton really are suffering.”

Dan Evans works at the Travis Perkins branch on Chester Road East in Shotton where the roadworks are currently situated.

He said: “They’re an absolute nightmare. People are staying away because of the traffic.

“You find yourself sat there for 30 to 40 minutes in the traffic every day. It’s not just at rush hour or in the morning when you’d expect to be in traffic, it’s all day, every day.”

“It’s a nightmare for the deliveries too. We only run one truck out of here but it’s still a nightmare.”

John Summers High School in Queensferry has also felt the impact of the roadworks.

Headteacher Azi Rashud said: “It has had an impact on staff arriving and going out for meetings. It has been a negative effect.

“When our sixth form students are travelling between sites, be it from Connah’s Quay or here to Saltney, their journey is fine until they get to here.

“It can cause delays with pupils arriving late to lessons.

“It is a problem and has had a bad effect on pupils and staff who live near the roadworks.”

Previously, Cllr Bernie Attridge, Flintshire Council cabinet member for environment, said: “Flintshire Council are currently undertaking works to reduce congestion along the Deeside Corridor by upgrading and synchronising the traffic signals on B5129.

“By undertaking these works this will future proof our network and help accommodate any future increased traffic.”

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

Past pictures from the local area

  • l1093e3b
  • l1093e3a
  • l107c8b1
Local Bygones

View thousands more photos like this on www.localbygones.co.uk

Browse our archive
 

Local Business Offers & Promotions


    View all offers & promotions

    Featured Businesses

    View all adverts