MAJOR works on one of the busiest roads in the county will last two weeks longer than expected.
Works being carried out along the B5129 – the main road through Queensferry, Shotton and Connah’s Quay, otherwise known as the Deeside Corridor – began in January and were scheduled to last 16 weeks.
However, due to the large amount of cabling and concrete that workers have had to deal with, Flintshire Council said the end date for completion had been pushed back to May 20 – a total of 18 weeks work.
A Flintshire Council spokesman said: “By undertaking these works this will build a network for the future and help accommodate any future increased traffic.
“The programmed completion date for all works is May 20 2014.
“A large amount of power and fibre optic cables as well as reinforced concrete slabs within the carriageway have slowed the works progress down and has led to a two-week delay to the programme.
“Flintshire Council is currently working closely with the contractor to reduce this delay on the remainder of the scheme.”
The works have meant motorists using the route have been hit with rush-hour queues, while some business owners in the area have said they have been hit as work has moved along the stretch section by section.
Susan Dutton, who runs the Caffe and Cremes coffee shop in Connah’s Quay, said her business was “dying” due to the roadworks.
“The first few weeks were dreadful because the traffic was backed up in Shotton,” she said.
“Traffic jams have been queuing up all day long and businesses have been suffering, we’re not getting our regular customers in from the traffic.
“I’ve had to put special offers on to get people in, we were dying.”
Flintshire Council said the works were aimed at reducing congestion along the road by upgrading all the traffic signals and linking three pedestrian crossings to work more efficiently.
Deborah Keenam, who runs Deb-n-hair Salon on High Street, Shotton, where the roadworks are currently situated.
She said: “It has affected the business, footfall has dropped because people are avoiding the area all together.
“We’ve lost about 80 per cent of our custom because of this, which is a hell of an amount to lose.”
Ian Stout, manager of Motor World on the corner of High Street, said:“It’s really not doing us any favours business-wise.
“It’s not helping our business in the short term as it’s been very, very quiet.”