ONE of the most unpopular decisions taken by Wrexham Council in years will be revisited after opposition councillors triggered an official review process.
The controversial decision to close Plas Madoc Leisure Centre is to be “called in”.
Opponents of the decision want councillors on Wrexham Council’s executive board, who last week voted to close the centre at the end of March, to be held to account and for a decision to be made again.
Cllr David A. Bithell, leader of the Wrexham Independent Group on Wrexham Council, said: “Five non-executive members of our group have decided to call in the decision and hold the seven executive board members who voted to close Plas Madoc to account.
“It’s quite clear from our members and the Wrexham public we need to hold the executive board to account.
“They are put in office by the public and voted out of office by the public.”
A decision by the executive board can be called in if five or more councillors disagree with it.
The move can only be made when the council publishes the minutes of the meeting – and these were released yesterday.
The decision will now go before a scrutiny committee within seven days and then go back before the executive board for a decision to be taken again.
Cllr Bithell said every member of the Independent group voted against the closure and many more councillors also support calls for Plas Madoc to remain open.
The executive board’s endorsement of the closure plan was set to go before full council for final approval next week.
As it stands the only other way Plas Madoc can stay open is if a community social enterprise can take over the running of the centre by June 30, otherwise the centre will be demolished, subject to full council approval next week.