ad

OAP prevents major fire at his home in Mostyn

Published date: 11 February 2014 |
Published by: Jamie Nield-Siddall 
Read more articles by Jamie Nield-Siddall  Email reporter


 

A QUICK-thinking pensioner “carried burning clothes” out of his home after a fire broke out.

The blaze started after a faulty radiator burst into flames in the bedroom of the property on Hafod y Ddol Road, Mostyn.

Father-of-three Alan Edwards said it is “lucky he was in” otherwise his house, and the detached neighbouring property, “could have burnt to the ground”.

The 74-year-old was sitting in his front room on Thursday afternoon when he was alerted to the fire when a smoke alarm was set off.

“It could have been a lot worse if it had happened when I was fast asleep,” he said.

Mr Edwards was taken to hospital following the blaze for precautionary checks due to smoke inhalation and returned home later that day.

Fire crews were called to the home after the blaze broke out shortly before 3.45pm.

A fire service spokesman said the cause of the fire was due to “a faulty oil-fuelled radiator in a bedroom”.

The fire caused damage to clothing which was on the radiator, and damaged the radiator, and caused smoke damage to the room.

Mr Edwards’ son, Geraint, 48, said his father carried the clothes, which were engulfed in flames, down the stairs and out to the garden to prevent the fire from spreading.

“He was in the living room and the smoke alarm went off,” he said.

“If he wasn’t here the whole house could have gone up.

“He checked upstairs and found clothes had gone on fire.”

He added: “It was very lucky he wasn’t asleep and it is very lucky the smoke alarm went off.

“We have also had him new smoke alarms fitted since the fire.”

Chris Nott, community safety manager for Wrexham and Flintshire, has stressed the importance of regularly testing your smoke alarm.

He said: “Smoke alarms give you the vital early warning sign which allows you and your family to escape safely from a fire.

“It’s also important to test the alarms regularly by pressing the test button to ensure that they are working.”

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offer free home fire safety checks for all residents in North Wales.

Mr Nott added: “During a check, a member of the service will visit your home, offer fire safety hints and tips, help you to formulate a fire escape plan and fit new smoke alarms in your home.”

To register call 0800 1691234, visit www.nwales-fireservice. org.uk or e-mail cfs@nwales-fireservice.org.uk.

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

Past pictures from Llandudno

  • BG-311011-1058
  • BG-311011-1073
  • l101656a
Local Bygones

View thousands more photos like this on www.localbygones.co.uk

Browse our archive
 

Local Business Offers & Promotions

  • 10% OFF

    STUDENTS, OAP;S, HIGH SCHOOL PUPILS. 10 % OFF Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Wash/Finish or Wash/Cut/Wash (Not in Conjunction with any offer)

    Valid Until: Thursday, 11 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: C&CO

  • 25% Off your Food bill!

    Each diner must purchase a starter & a main course. Offer valid until December 2014. Valid Sundays - Fridays only. Not valid on Bank Holidays & Selected Dates - please call for confirmation. Please book in advance & mention ' Web Offer'. This offer excludes Buffet, Banquet & Takeaway. The Restaurant reserves the right to change this offer at anytime.

    Valid Until: Friday, 05 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: Web Offer


View all offers & promotions

Featured Businesses

View all adverts