A TEENAGER broke into a mosque and stole from donation boxes.
CCTV footage showed three people walking round the mosque on Grosvenor Road, Wrexham, at about 11.15pm on November 24 before throwing a brick through the prayer room window to gain access.
They were then seen leaving about 40 minutes later.
And when staff showed up the next day, they found collection boxes in the foyer had been forced open and emptied.
The brick was still on the prayer room floor with glass from the broken window all around it.
Five money boxes had been emptied and a total of about £100 had been taken.
A 17-year-old admitted charges of burglary in relation to the raid at a Wrexham Youth Court hearing on December 31.
At a sentencing hearing yesterday, prosecutor Wyn Jones said the youth was identified from DNA evidence found at the scene.
Interviewed, he initially denied being involved and said he had been there previously to put down carpet. But he later made a full admission.
The youth was also sentenced yesterday for his involvement in ransacking a farm.
He was one of two youths who entered a farm belonging to Paul Brereton on Tower Hill, Garth, near Llangollen, through an unlocked door before running riot in June last year. Gashes to the inside walls of the farmhouse were made by throwing axes.
He and a 15-year-old, who was earlier sentenced for the farm incident, also broke into a gun cabinet, took three shotguns and used them to shoot out windows.
They shot out the tyres and windows of a Land Rover left at the property belonging to Joe Wilson and stole a chainsaw from inside the vehicle.
Mr Jones said the youths were probably disturbed by the Land Rover returning to the property and abandoned the guns and fled, leaving behind mobile phones.
Emma Simoes, defending the 17-year-old, said in relation to the farm incident:
“These offences, as horrible as they might be, were a blip while he was taking cannabis.
“He does say he was not singly responsible for the damage caused but he accepts he was there and was part and parcel of it.”
With regard to the break-in at the mosque, Miss Simoes said the youth obtained about 15p from the charity boxes.
She added: “He does regret his actions and he does show motivation to change.”
Magistrates chairman Pat Thomas said the youth had come close to receiving a custodial sentence.
Sentencing him to a 12-month intensive referral order, she added: “I hope you have realised how serious this has been and will comply with the Youth Justice Service so we never see you in this court again. There are always consequences to your actions.”
The teenager was also ordered to pay £200 compensation to Mr Brereton and £350 to Mr Wilson for the offences at the farm.
A £33 compensation order was made for the theft from the mosque.
The youth was also told to pay a £15 victim surcharge and costs of £85, making a total financial penalty of £683.
l On January 21 a 15-year-old involved involved in the farm raid was given a nine-month referral order and a total financial penalty of £630 after he admitted charges of burglary, criminal damage and theft from a motor vehicle.