QUICK-THINKING neighbours have been praised after a blaze broke out at a house.
A tumble drier overheated and destroyed a shed next to a home on Tan y Felin, Greenfield, on Sunday, destroying thousands of pounds worth of goods and causing damage to the property.
Leanne Jones and her husband Mike, who have lived there for 13 years, said the devastation could have been a lot worse, were it not for their neighbours.
The couple were out walking their dog when the blaze broke out shortly after 2pm.
“My 14-year-old son, Kyle was at home,” said Mrs Jones, 37, “but we were out walking the dog.
“We got a phone call from a neighbour about the fire.
“We were frantic. We ran back to the house and the fire engine was here.
“My son was fine – that was the important thing.”
She added the neighbours hammered on the door, alerting son Kyle to the danger outside.
“The smoke was bellowing up,” she added.
Mr Jones, 38, who is an assistant manager for Greenfield FC under-14s, said when they returned home, three sets of neighbours were at the scene with hose pipes and a fire extinguisher, although they were relieved by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service firefighters.
The couple, whose 10-year-old son Ben was out at the time of the fire, were thankful the tumble drier was outside the house.
Mrs Jones added: “The shed was devastated but it could have been a lot worse. A lot of people keep their driers in the kitchen.”
The heat from the flames damaged the satellite dish on the side of the house, cracked a bedroom window and melted bins in the garden.
Mr Jones said “thousands of pounds worth of stuff” had been destroyed in the blaze – including bikes, scooters and camping and football equipment kept in the shed.