A HOUSE undergoing renovation has been badly damaged by fire.
Fire broke out at the semi-detached property on London Road in Trelawnyd, near Holywell, at 2.15am yesterday.
Police later attended the scene after a number of what are believed to be cannabis plants were discovered.
Fire crews from Rhyl and Prestatyn were called to tackle the flames, which left the currently unoccupied house with 100 per cent smoke damage and 50 per cent fire damage.
The loft space of a nearby property was also smoke-damaged.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was started accidentally and was not being treated as suspicious.
One resident, who did not wish to be named and who lives near the house, said: “Nobody’s been seen at that house for ages. It’s been empty for a while. Whoever owns it has been doing it up but we never tend to see anyone there.”
The fire alarm in the home next to the affected property went off, causing the owners to alert emergency services.
Emergency services say one person was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene but did not need to be taken to hospital.
Police investigators were at the scene yesterday morning, inspecting the damage alongside fire officers.
A police spokesman said: “At 2.17am today police received a call from the fire service reporting a fire at a property on London Road, Trelawnyd. Police attended and a number of what are believed to be cannabis plants were discovered at the location.
“Investigations are under way into the incident. Crime scene investigators have attended the scene and our inquiries are on-going.
“At this time nobody has been arrested in connection with the matter. However police inquiries are continuing and anyone with information that could assist in the investigation is urged to contact Mold CID on 101.
“Alternatively, individuals with information can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”