ad

Connah's Quay father and son issue e-cigarette warning after fire

Published date: 23 December 2013 |
Published by: Robert Doman 
Read more articles by Robert Doman  Email reporter


 

A FAMILY believe their home could have been destroyed after an electronic cigarette exploded.

The device had been plugged in to charge up when father and son, Gary and Sam Jones, were alerted by a loud bang.

They told the Leader how flames began burning around the socket and said they could have lost their house in the ‘frightening’ incident.

Flintshire Trading Standards have confirmed they are making enquiries following the blaze. A FAMILY say its house could have been destroyed when an electronic cigarette ‘exploded’ and went on fire.

The e-cigarette had been plugged into a socket to charge up when father and son, Gary and Sam Jones, were alerted by a loud bang at their home on Golftyn Lane, Connah’s Quay.

They told the Leader how flames began burning all around the socket which they managed to extinguish, but said they could have lost their house in the ‘frightening’ incident.

Flintshire Trading Standards is making enquiries following the fire, which happened as the family were sitting down to dinner.

Sam, 19, who has been trying quit smoking said: “There was a massive bang and flames were coming up.

“The whole house could have been destroyed and people could have been killed.

“It had worked well for a couple of weeks but I wouldn’t advise anyone else to use them.”

Sam’s father Gary put out the flames which surrounded the socket at the family’s home.

The e-cigarette was plugged into a socket through a USB adaptor but Gary explained they were given a foil bag to place over it by a certified seller in case it overheated.

Gary, 50, who runs G&S Window Systems in the town, said: “The whole thing had blown up.

“If I hadn’t put the flames out then make no mistake, the whole house could have gone.

“If we had been out we wouldn’t have had a house to come home to – it could have caused a massive fire.

“To provide a foil bag in case the thing overheats is ridiculous. We were lucky but somebody else could lose their home or worse. The public need to be made aware.

“The fire officer was quite shocked to see what had happened.”

North Wales Fire and Service said the fire was due to the failure of the e-cigarette unit.

A spokesman said: “There was 100 per cent fire damage to the     e-cigarette charging lead and the socket.

“The fire was extinguished by the occupier. It was caused by the electrical failure of the e-cigarette unit.”

A trading standards spokesman said: “We have receive a complaint and are currently making inquiries.”

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

Past pictures from Connah's Quay

  • l107cb96
  • l107c935
  • l107c879
Local Bygones

View thousands more photos like this on www.localbygones.co.uk

Browse our archive
 

Local Business Offers & Promotions

  • 10% OFF

    STUDENTS, OAP;S, HIGH SCHOOL PUPILS. 10 % OFF Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Wash/Finish or Wash/Cut/Wash (Not in Conjunction with any offer)

    Valid Until: Thursday, 11 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: C&CO

  • 25% Off your Food bill!

    Each diner must purchase a starter & a main course. Offer valid until December 2014. Valid Sundays - Fridays only. Not valid on Bank Holidays & Selected Dates - please call for confirmation. Please book in advance & mention ' Web Offer'. This offer excludes Buffet, Banquet & Takeaway. The Restaurant reserves the right to change this offer at anytime.

    Valid Until: Friday, 05 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: Web Offer


View all offers & promotions

Featured Businesses

View all adverts