ad

Blind customer slams Wrexham shop over treatment

Published date: 17 December 2013 |
Published by: Staff reporter
Read more articles by Staff reporter Email reporter

A blind woman says she was “knocked for six” after a shop assistant declined to help her and refused to believe she was disabled.

Margaret Williams, of High Street, Brymbo, has been registered blind since 2001.

She called in at The Works, an arts and crafts store on Regent Street, Wrexham, to buy a birthday card for her grandson.

But when Mrs Williams, 62, asked the on-duty shop assistant for help, she was told she would not receive any assistance.

When she explained that she was registered blind, the staff member did not believe her.

Mrs Williams, who moved to the area two years ago, said: “I’ve only just got the confidence to get out and about.  Prior to that I’d only go out if I needed to go to the doctor’s or the hospital, but that’s no way to live your life.

“I was absolutely disgusted by the whole incident and it has knocked me for six if I’m honest.

“It took me years to build up the confidence to go out but now I’m not sure I will be able to.”

Mrs Williams, who lost her sight after she suffered detached retinas 12 years ago, was not happy with the response she received to her complaint.

“I wrote to The Works and they replied to say the incident would be investigated and they sent me a £10 gift voucher”, she said.

“But what good is that? I’m not going to go in their store again after being spoken to like that.”

Mrs Williams’ husband, David, came home from work to find his wife upset by the incident.

He said: “It is disgusting that a member of staff felt it was appropriate to speak to a customer like that, never mind someone who had just told them they had a disability.”

Nick Wood, retail operations director at The Works, said: “We are very sorry to hear about Mrs Williams’ experience while visiting our store in Wrexham.

“We are currently conducting a thorough internal investigation to find out exactly what has happened.”

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

1. Posted by: daisymay at 15:58 on 17 December 2013 Report

I find it hard to believe that an assistant in any store would refuse to help a registered blind person without a very good reason. Was she perhaps alone in a store full of people & not able to leave the till? Usually an explanation is all that is required.

2. Posted by: Bryan John big B at 18:33 on 17 December 2013 Report

unlike this lady I am a regular shopper at the works and find the sales staff to always be excellent. They are always quick with a smile and a friendly hello . They are ever exceptionally helpful and go the extra mile. This story will make myself and my family visit the store even more often!!! We love the works - perhaps this registered blind lady is mistaken and named the wrong store ????

3. Posted by: welshboyo at 19:09 on 17 December 2013 Report

This is hard to believe. I am a regular customer of The Works and have never ever heard such stories. The staff are always well mannered and extremely helpful even during busy periods. Furthermore, I will continue to shop there and not believe such utter nonsense!!

4. Posted by: Bryan John big B at 19:13 on 17 December 2013 Report

Also how irresponsible for the Wrescam Leader to print this woman's picture and include her address !!!!!!!!! I wonder what has happened to the £10 gift voucher if she's never going in the store again??? I bet it will get spent by the Williams 's somehow

5. Posted by: welshboyo at 19:48 on 17 December 2013 Report

The whole story stinks. Just shown the article to my new art class, turns out we all purchase our art supplies from the works and totally agree this is nonsense!!

6. Posted by: henrebel at 01:39 on 18 December 2013 Report

What a load of rubbish. I hope they can prove that the spiteful old hag is making it up so no one loses their job.

7. Posted by: Bryan John big B at 02:21 on 18 December 2013 Report

I totally agree with 'henrebel' this woman has probably not worked for years herself and does not realise that such ludicrous lies can jepodise people's livelihoods ! If she is registered blind and her husband was out at work- as said in the Wrecsam leaders article- who cares for her since she says she has not been out of the house in two years??? DWP hot line anyone ????

8. Posted by: gracydavies at 11:35 on 18 December 2013 Report

I see Margaret has not included any evidence to back up her claim. She hasn't even said if if was a male or female that served her.Surely that is important information if they are to make sure the correct person is reprimanded.!I am sorry but this story dosn't ring true and i can only dismiss it as a pathetic individual using their disability for financial gain!

9. Posted by: gracydavies at 11:38 on 18 December 2013 Report

10. Posted by: gracydavies at 11:44 on 18 December 2013 Report

I myself am short sighted and have shopped at the works for may years. I have been served by many different staff members and they all offer the same excellent service.They are always very busy in there but always stop what they are doing to help me find books by my favourite authors!

Past pictures from Bodhyfryd

• l108dc6d
  • l108dc6b
  • BG-311011-1279
Local Bygones

View thousands more photos like this on www.localbygones.co.uk

Browse our archive

Local Business Offers & Promotions

• 10% OFF

STUDENTS, OAP;S, HIGH SCHOOL PUPILS. 10 % OFF Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Wash/Finish or Wash/Cut/Wash (Not in Conjunction with any offer)

Valid Until: Thursday, 11 Dec 2014

Voucher Code: C&CO

• 25% Off your Food bill!

Each diner must purchase a starter & a main course. Offer valid until December 2014. Valid Sundays - Fridays only. Not valid on Bank Holidays & Selected Dates - please call for confirmation. Please book in advance & mention ' Web Offer'. This offer excludes Buffet, Banquet & Takeaway. The Restaurant reserves the right to change this offer at anytime.

Valid Until: Friday, 05 Dec 2014

Voucher Code: Web Offer

Featured Businesses

• GHP Legal
    Please contact us for a list of services.
    View website »
  • Shefleys
    Cars wanted for cash. Here you can find a hand-picked selection of quality, previously-owned cars from manufacturers such as Audi, Vauxhall, Volkswagen, Ford, BMW and more, all competitively priced and professionally presented
    View website »
  • Businessline Wrexham
    Has a wealth of experience, knowledge and qualifications in business and informaton management
    More »
  • Covenant Windows Ltd
    Covenant Windows, for windows doors and conservatories- we will beat any like for like price.
    View website »