A TAKEAWAY has been refused permission to extend its opening hours.
The owner of Turkish Delight, on Wrexham Street, Mold, had applied to stay open for an extra half-hour, five-days-a-week and an extra hour on Fridays and Saturdays.
But councillors rejected the application at a meeting of Flintshire Council’s licensing sub-committee after considering concerns the later hours would encourage anti-social behaviour.
The takeaway’s had applied to extend the hours to 12.30am Sunday to Thursday and 1am on Friday and Saturday.
Objections to the application focused on the possibility of an increase in anti-social behaviour should permission be given.
Resident Carol Farrer spoke of the disturbances suffered by residents when another takeaway had opened illegally after midnight two years ago.
She said it was the customers who caused the problem as they waited outside for their food, shouting, relieving themselves and generally causing a disturbance.
Miss Farrer said her objection was one of principle and said if one takeaway was given permission to open later, others would want to follow suit.
Cllr Chris Bithell said eight of his constituents had raised objections to the application.
He said while he recognised the right of owners to run their businesses and make a living, “there’s a limit to what residents can be expected to deal with”.
“They surely have a right to sleep at night especially after midnight,” he said. Cllr Bithell said the reason there had been few problems of anti-social behaviour in the area was because of the current restrictions.
He said if the takeaway’s application was approved, people would come from other areas to use it once they knew it was open late.
But licensing consultant June Clark, representing Turkish Delight owner Ibrahim Aygun, argued none of the objections were to do with the restaurant itself.
She said businesses nearby selling alcohol were already open later, including Wetherspoon’s which was able to open until 2pm.
Granting an extension of hours to the takeaway would not “aid or encourage people to stay on the street then because it will be closed,” she said.
Ms Clark said since Turkish Delight had opened in 2008, the takeaway had been granted 15 temporary licences extending its hours and had ‘never had an issue at all’.
The former owner of the takeaway said this was the reason the police had given for not raising objections to the current application.
Planning committee member Cllr Ian Dunbar said the committee understood the arguments on both sides but highlighted the fact there was currently little trouble in the vicinity of the takeaway.
“That shows the restrictions are working as they are on other streets,” he said, “because they’re closing at a reasonable time.”
Ms Clark said: “You won’t allow late night refreshment businesses and yet you allow businesses to sell alcohol and yet that will cause more problems.”
But Cllr Dunbar said if there were ever problems with pubs and restaurants, their opening hours would be looked at and if there were problems, they would be closed.