ad

Shotton blaze 'could have been a lot worse'

Published date: 05 December 2013 |
Published by: Robert Doman 
Read more articles by Robert Doman  Email reporter


 

A MAN has told of his “lucky escape” from a fire at his flat.

David Farr said he had smoke alarms to thank for alerting him to the fire in his kitchen on Ash Grove, Shotton, after he fought the flames with an extinguisher before firefighters arrived.

Mr Farr, who lives in a Clwyd Alyn Housing Association property, said the fire could have been much worse after smoke had engulfed his flat.

“I was lucky,” Mr Farr said. “It could well have been a lot worse.

“You just wouldn’t believe how much smoke there was so quickly.

“The place was black in seconds. The flames were about a foot high and I had to use the fire extinguisher.”

Mr Farr, 51, had finished making a bacon sandwich when the fire took hold, igniting paper left near to the grill.

“It was stupidity really,” he said. “But luckily the fire started and stopped in the kitchen.

“It happened really quickly. I had only been out of the kitchen about 15 seconds when the smoke alarms went off.

“I am really glad Clwyd Alyn had installed them and a fire extinguisher or I don’t know what might have happened.”

Mr Farr praised the quick response from the fire service, who he said arrived just minutes after he called them.

“They did what they needed to do and they were very good,” he added.

“But I would urge other people to be vigilant to prevent the same thing from happening to them.

Mr Farr was the only person in the property during the fire, but he wished to thank a neighbour who went to his aid after they heard the smoke alarms going off.

“I don’t know who the guy was but I want to thank him for coming to my assistance,” he told the Leader.

attended the fire on the upper floor of a mid-terraced two-story property at 11.37am yesterday.

They used two sets of breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet to extinguish the flames and said they had isolated utilities and ventilated the property before leaving at 12.26pm.

North Wales Fire and Rescue provides free home safety checks and smoke detectors.

These can be booked by calling 0800 169 1234.

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

Past pictures from the local area

  • l1093e30
  • l1093e3d
  • l109e175
Local Bygones

View thousands more photos like this on www.localbygones.co.uk

Browse our archive
 

Local Business Offers & Promotions

  • 10% OFF

    STUDENTS, OAP;S, HIGH SCHOOL PUPILS. 10 % OFF Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Wash/Finish or Wash/Cut/Wash (Not in Conjunction with any offer)

    Valid Until: Thursday, 11 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: C&CO

  • 25% Off your Food bill!

    Each diner must purchase a starter & a main course. Offer valid until December 2014. Valid Sundays - Fridays only. Not valid on Bank Holidays & Selected Dates - please call for confirmation. Please book in advance & mention ' Web Offer'. This offer excludes Buffet, Banquet & Takeaway. The Restaurant reserves the right to change this offer at anytime.

    Valid Until: Friday, 05 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: Web Offer


View all offers & promotions

Featured Businesses

View all adverts