ad

Health chiefs 'to put things right' as complaints rocket

Published date: 04 December 2013 |
Published by: Jamie Nield-Siddall 
Read more articles by Jamie Nield-Siddall  Email reporter


 

COMPLAINTS made to the North Wales health board have rocketed this year.

Figures reveal an increase as high as 128 per cent in the number of concerns raised with Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCHUB) – the largest health board in Wales.

Patient complaints and concerns also highlight a dozen ‘Never Ever’ – incidents considered wholly unacceptable and preventable – where people have been given wrong doses of potentially lethal medicines, or the wrong limb treated.

The report says 12 incidents, that have been identified since the end of March 2013, is considered “an extremely high number” for any organisation.

BCUHB has said “significant improvements” will need to be made to build up public confidence.

The figures have revealed there have been 74 incidents in 2012/13 and only seven had had closure reports, and so far in 2013/14, 95 incidents are overdue for closure.

It also revealed that in April 2011, complaints averaged 40 per month – in August 2013, there were 152, and in October 2013, there were 161.

Antoinette Sandbach AM has slammed the report and is urging Health Minister Mark Drakeford to take action to ensure BCUHB clears the “massive” backlog of complaints and deals with new ones correctly.

Ms Sandbach said: “There has been a 128 per cent increase in complaints to BCUHB, with a long backlog of cases not being resolved.

“Many people have waited for more than a year for the review to be concluded and a high percentage of them are unhappy.”

A BCUHB spokesman said: “A review in the management of patient complaints and concerns (under the Putting Things Right legislation) was commissioned by  Angela Hopkins, executive director of nursing and midwifery, in August, 2013. The full report from this review will be presented to the board in the New Year.

“The health board has put in place a number of actions already to robustly manage the closure of incidents/events, reduce the current backlog and eradicate any future backlog.

“We are working closely with the community health council which has raised concerns on behalf of the public in respect of complaints management.

“We also recognise we must respond to patients and provide support in a timely manner and significant improvements will need to be made to build up public confidence.”

The report states: “The current performance is not acceptable and the legacy position, which has become very clear in the last couple of months, must be resolved as soon as possible.”

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

  1. Posted by: sheefag at 17:43 on 04 December 2013 Report

    Or in short, lives lost, no criminal proceedings, no sackings and 'lessons will be learnt'.

  2. Posted by: sandrobe2001 at 19:06 on 04 December 2013 Report

    I was taken into A&E, Wrexham Maelor Hospital at the beginning of July with Atrial Fibrillation but I am also Type 2 Diabetic but was left in a Cubicle for some 5/6 hours, with no offer of a drink, something to eat or the use of the toilet and no medication until admitted to ACU. Thank God for my daughter being there, to make sure I had my correct medication, as and when appropriate. Still waiting for a result of the BCUHB's investigation.

  3. Posted by: kevinweston4 at 19:36 on 04 December 2013 Report

    Health chiefs 'to put things right' as complaints rocket......" They are all going to resign!

Past pictures from Bodhyfryd

  • l108dc6b
  • l107834f
  • l108dc6d
Local Bygones

View thousands more photos like this on www.localbygones.co.uk

Browse our archive
 

Local Business Offers & Promotions

  • 10% OFF

    STUDENTS, OAP;S, HIGH SCHOOL PUPILS. 10 % OFF Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Wash/Finish or Wash/Cut/Wash (Not in Conjunction with any offer)

    Valid Until: Thursday, 11 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: C&CO

  • 25% Off your Food bill!

    Each diner must purchase a starter & a main course. Offer valid until December 2014. Valid Sundays - Fridays only. Not valid on Bank Holidays & Selected Dates - please call for confirmation. Please book in advance & mention ' Web Offer'. This offer excludes Buffet, Banquet & Takeaway. The Restaurant reserves the right to change this offer at anytime.

    Valid Until: Friday, 05 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: Web Offer


View all offers & promotions

Featured Businesses

View all adverts