A COMMUNITY council will not lay on another meeting to discuss a controversial crematorium application, it was resolved last night.
Councillors in Northop held a special meeting following news that Edward Davies, of funeral directors J E Davies and Son – who is hoping to build a crematorium on 23-acres of land off Starkey Lane near Northop – said he would not be attending a public meeting to discuss the plans scheduled for Friday.
The council had offered to host the second meeting to follow up a heated summit on September 9, at which Mr Davies and more than 100 people opposed to his plans attended.
But Mr Davies told the council he would not be attending another meeting. In a statement issued last week he said he feared any further meetings would degenerate into what he called ‘a similar chaotic vilification’ of himself seen at the first September meeting.
At last night’s special meeting of Northop Community Council held at the Edith Banks Memorial Hall, Cllr Alan Watkins said rescheduling the crematorium meeting was not an option as ‘it would not be appropriate to facilitate a meeting with only one side there’.
Cllr Pauline Lawton-Hughes, chair of the council, agreed. She said: “It should definitely not be a one-sided affair.
“There is nothing stopping Mr Davies from arranging his own meeting for Northop residents should he decide to speak with them.”
The council voted unanimously not to go ahead with facilitating a further public meeting between the two parties.
However, Karen Williams, a Northop resident who attended the meeting said villagers were frustrated with the lack of information they had about the proposed crematorium, which would be built on green barrier land.
“It is only he (Mr Davies) who can answer our questions,” she said.
“We are anxious to find out more information from Mr Davies.”
Earlier this month No2NorthopCrem campaigner Steve Petter revealed Mr Davies had however approached the campaign group to enter into discussions, an offer that was rebuffed by the group.
Mr Davies’ spokesman said that refusal had ‘disappointed’ the applicant.
The application looks likely to be discussed by Flintshire Council planning officers next year.