A WOMAN has spoken of her devastation following an arson attack on the car she was given as a birthday present.
Fire crews were called to reports of a burning vehicle on Gladstone Road in Broughton just after midnight on Saturday.
The owner of the car, Dawn Hughes, 49, said she was ‘devastated’.
“I’ve only had it a few weeks,” she said. “I got it for my birthday from my partner. He’s more upset than anyone.”
Mrs Hughes said it wasn’t until she was woken by her neighbour knocking that she realised the new red Hyundai Coupe had been set alight.
“First I thought I was dreaming,” she said. “I came to the landing and I could see it through the window but it wasn’t registering.”
Mrs Hughes said she was hugely grateful to her neighbour who knocked at the door just metres away from the burning car.
“I couldn’t keep the door open,” she said. “The heat was coming straight towards me.”
Waiting with her partner and neighbour at the bottom of the back garden, she said the ‘terrible’ noise of the blaze made her think the car would explode.
“That was my biggest fear, that it would blow up. I’d never heard of anything like it.
“It was just like fireworks going off - one bang and then another bang.
“It was like a bonfire. There were bits flying everywhere. I was terrified they’d hit someone or set something else alight.
“It’s been awful,” she said. “I keep thinking it’s all a bad dream. I kept my car here because I thought it was safe. This sort of thing isn’t heard of in a little village.”
She added. “My neighbours only noticed because they were locking up for the night. If they hadn’t gone to bed then I don’t know whether we would have realised.”
But the fire service were ‘absolutely brilliant’, Mrs Hughes said, even coming back to tidy up in the morning.
“I’ve never seen such a mess but everyone’s been great, the number of people who’ve come to see me and say how sorry they are. They know what it meant to me.
“My private number plates are coming any day to go on it. Now I’m going to have to put them on the wall.”
A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue said the fire had been started deliberately.
One crew from Deeside attended the incident and used two hose reels and one breathing apparatus to extinguish the blaze.