A MOTHER who led her four children to safety after fire broke out in her house said her family had been lucky to escape without injury.
Maria Evans was putting her children to bed at about 8.30pm on Sunday when her washing machine started to burn.
Ms Evans, of Aston Grove, Wrexham, rushed her children to safety.
She said: “The house smells of smoke now, but it could have been so much worse.
”The possible consequences don’t bear thinking about.”
“My daughter’s bedroom is above the kitchen.
“The important thing is that we are all safe and well, including our cat and dog.”
Ms Evans, 34, was upstairs putting her three sons aged 10, seven and three, and nine-year-old daughter to bed when the fire broke out.
“We were upstairs when all of a sudden I heard the smoke alarm go off,” she said.
“So I went to find out what was happening.
“I could smell burning plastic. When I got into the kitchen I saw smoke and flames coming from the washing machine.”
Ms Evans said she then went into automatic mode, with the immediate priority being the safety of her family.
“The children had come downstairs, I got them straight out and phoned the fire service,” she said.
“Everything seemed to slow down, but the firefighters were here quickly and they did a good job.
“We were waiting outside the house and neighbours offered to take the children inside their home. I would like to thank everyone who has helped us for their generosity.”
Ms Evans said she carried out regular checks on the house’s smoke alarm system and said it proved vital in giving her an early warning that the fire had broken out.
A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the cause of the fire was an electrical fault in the washing machine.