ANOTHER devastated dog owner whose puppy died with a contagious virus has warned people of its dangers.
John O’Brien, of Maes Gwyn, Flint, had to have his 11-week-old puppy Tricksy put down after she caught parvovirus – despite the dog never leaving the home.
The puppy fell ill last Friday night and died just three days later.
Vets in the county – who first warned of a parvovirus outbreak in August – said yesterday that the potentially deadly bug is “absolutely still here in Flintshire”.
Mr O’Brien, who only bought Tricksy three weeks ago, is now urging all dog owners, particularly those with puppies, to go and get their dogs vaccinated.
He said: “The puppy had only ever been out in the back garden. We thought she would be safe there.
“The vet told us that people can carry the virus on their feet, as well as cats jumping in to the garden.
“She fell ill on Friday night.
“We thought she just had a stomach bug.
“Then on the Saturday she was completely off her food and drink so we took her to the vets on Sunday.”
Mr O’Brien said the vet bill cost “hundreds of pounds” but said he did not care about the money – he was simply devastated the puppy had to be put down.
He said the vet at The Grange Veterinary Hospital in Flint told him there had been a lot of recent cases of dogs contracting the virus in the Flintshire area.
In August, the Leader reported an outbreak of the virus in the area – killing a number of dogs and costing owners thousands of pounds in vet bills.
Hannah Barfoot, who is a vet at the Grange’s Buckley branch, said the problem
with parvovirus remains in Flintshire.
She said they are seeing up to one case per week in the area but assured pet owners that they are yet to see a case involving a fully-vaccinated dog.
“The problem is absolutely still here in Flintshire,” she said.
“We are mostly seeing it in unvaccinated puppies.
“We want to get the message out there for people to come and get their dogs vaccinated. It’s vital that come and get their dogs vaccinated.”