A GRANDFATHER is said to have suffered a “horrible” death after contracting a superbug in a North Wales hospital.
The devastated family of 88-year-old Jim Ouslem have spoke of how the Clostridium difficile (C. diff) infection he caught while on a hospital ward meant his life ended “in a horrible way.”
Widower Mr Ouslem of Prince of Wales Avenue, Flint, died at Glan Clwyd Hospital in June.
His family said he died of an internal bleed, three months after going in to the hospital for a routine procedure.
His family thought he would have been back home within days of going in.
But he spent 12 weeks at the hospital during the outbreak and contracted the C. diff bug on two occasions.
Mr Ouslem’s daughter Tricia Ouslem said that even though the virus did not kill her father – she believes contracting the infection “definitely contributed to his death”.
Ms Ouslem’s comments come as Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) is facing calls for a corporate manslaughter investigation over a C. diff outbreak between January to May.
There were 96 cases of the infection during the five-month period, with 30 patients dying while suffering with the bug.
Ms Ouslem, 47 is supporting the calls being led by North Wales AM Llyr Gruffydd, who wants police to examine how the health board responded to warnings of the outbreak.
Mother-of-two Ms Ouslem said: “We support the calls for an investigation.
“It’s very important so it can stop it happening again.”
She said her father, who had suffered with prostate cancer for 10 years, was due home just days before his death.
“He was basically on his way home,” she said.
“We had so many problems when trying to get him home.
“He was waiting for someone to say he could leave the hospital when he contracted C. diff for the second time.”
Ms Ouslem added: “The first time he contracted it, it was unpleasant but he coped really well with it.
“The second time he just ended up going down hill.”
Ms Ouslem said leading up to his death, her father kept complaining that he had bad stomach pains and that he wasn’t feeling right.
She said when they got the call saying he had died, it was “horrendous”.
“When we got the call I thought it wasn’t going to be anything serious – we were absolutely devastated.”
She added: “Contracting C. diff definitely contributed to his death and ended his life in a horrible way.”
A BCUHB spokesman said: “We have received a formal complaint from Mr Ouslem’s family regarding aspects of his care at Glan Clwyd Hospital.
“These are being looked into and it would be inappropriate to comment publically until we have completed this work and had an opportunity to share our findings with the family.”